Password not recognised

Reaction score
Some time ago Windows refused to recognise my password tho I knew it was OK, so I've been opening up my computer with my PIN which works. I worry that Windows might suddenly not recognise my PIN either so I went through the procedure of resetting my password, getting code sent to my email address then using it to reset, getting an email saying password had successfully been reset - and then it doesn't work! I've tried three times, using different passwords, leaving time for the system to organise itself, etc etc. When I try to reset the security questions, I'm asked for my password and it works. But not for opening up my computer. Help!
I have an Acer Aspire ES15 laptop which had Windows 10 pre-installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried using the little "eye" icon in the password text box to confirm that the password is being entered exactly as you are typing it?
Additionally, do you have a second language / region (keyboard) installed so that the system may be defaulting to a different input language at logon?

Reaction score
Excuse me if I am talking nonsense? I have never usef a pin, but, is it possible that if you elect to use it as a default, then the password becomes redundant?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
is it possible that if you elect to use it as a default, then the password becomes redundant?
Sort of....
I think that, redundancy is the actual intent
I use all three
An actual password, a PIN and a Picture Password.
I believe that if you actually configure a PIN that the system defaults to that and you have to physically click the login options to switch to the common password text box, typing a password into the PIN box would of course fail (unless they are identical) so....
You might have actually stumbled onto something here.

Reaction score
Sort of....
I think that, redundancy is the actual intent
I use all three
An actual password, a PIN and a Picture Password.
I believe that if you actually configure a PIN that the system defaults to that and you have to physically click the login options to switch to the common password text box, typing a password into the PIN box would of course fail (unless they are identical) so....
You might have actually stumbled onto something here.
No, I realise that I have the choice between PIN and password, by clicking the appropriate icon underneath - but when I choose "password", I always get the message Password not recognised. So I reset the Password - and it is still not recognised as I said.

Reaction score
"sing it to reset, getting an email saying password had successfully been reset - and then it doesn't work"
Sorry if you have complied correctly, but, you are using the code that was sent? That is necessary until you change the code back to something more sane.

Ask a Question