Password required upon waking...

WYE

Reaction score
As of this afternoon I am being asked to enter a password every time I wake my desktop pc even though I've set it so a password is never required. The message on my pc says, "Authentication is required when this PC wakes from sleep. Security policies on this PC are preventing you from changing this setting." The only thing I have done differently today is set up the mail app to handle my different accounts. This is frustrating. So far Windows 10 has caused me more frustration than benefits. I appreciate any all suggestions and assistance. Please use plain speak as I am not computer savvy. Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Hello WYE,

First of all, I am not a computer expert, but I always fix my problems when is possible. So, let's check if your computer is set or not to ask for a password. Click on the Windows logo and go to the 'settings'.Then go to 'accounts'. Then go to 'sign-in options', on the right side you're gonna see 'require sing-in'. So, check if the box is chosen 'Never'. If not, choose it as 'Never'. It seems basic, but you should check it. I hope it helps. If it is not clear for you just ask and I'll try to help.

WYE

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Rose Garcia. I tried your suggestion, but wasn't able to change settings. I have included a picture of the screen. Something has changed my settings without my knowledge with the following warning: "Authentication is required when this PC wakes from sleep. Security policies on this PC are preventing you from changing this setting." Again, thank you for your suggestion. If you think of anything else I'm all ears. :)

Attachments

• PW req pic 1.jpg
    PW req pic 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 726

WYE

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Trouble. I do not see a "Reset Security Policies" under user accounts. The problem is even worse than I imagined. My computer puts itself to sleep every so often even though now set to never do so. Have to put in password every time it does. I am a single user pc where no one else sees my pc. Help! Please!

Reaction score
Hi,
Are you the administrator of your PC? To check it, go the settings/accounts/your email and accounts

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... your original posts says.....
As of this afternoon
So does that mean, you never saw this prior to that time??
IF so, try using System Restore to go back to a point in time prior to yesterday afternoon and see if that helps
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
rstrui
hit enter
tick the radio button that says "Choose a different restore point"
See if there is a point in time restore, prior to yesterday afternoon that might help at least temporarily remedy the problem.

WYE

Reaction score
Yes things worked fine with no password whatsoever prior to setting up the mail app with all of my accounts. Yes I am the administrator.

I tried Trouble's suggestion. The system restore failed. I'm going to try disabling the mail app and deleting all of the accounts on it. But I have a feeling one of the accounts which is an exchange account from a business has altered my computer in a way that is not easily fixed. Again, any advice you may have is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hy WYE,
I found something it might help you...Go to Control Panel, you can go searching or right click on windows logo. Then go to Power Option, you can choose any of the options (...when to turn off the display/when the computer sleeps). Then go to Change Advanced Power Settings, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. in the box click on balance, after Require a Password on wake-up and choose "no" for the options ("On Battery" and "Plugged in"). Click on apply and see if has changed to not requiring a password. I hope, this works.

Ask a Question