PC Crash After Attempting to Downgrade from 10 to 8.1

Reaction score
I am running a 15.6" Dell Inspiron Laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 around the first or second week of August. I had no problems for about 3 or 3 and a half weeks, up until about this past Tuesday (9/8/15). That day, I got the infamous memory management error blue screen, after which it reset and all was well...or so I thought. Within six hours, it randomly shut down and restarted itself while I was working on a paper in Word. Later that same day, it rebooted itself AGAIN!!! While it only did that twice, it continually closed out of apps that I was in the middle of using without giving me the opportunity to save whatever I was doing.

I read a couple of places that said people were able to get rid of all of these problems by simply downgrading back to their previous versions of windows, so I tried to go back to 8.1. I began the process of the downgrade, and left it. When I returned a few minutes later, it was trying to reboot in 8.1, but I instead was getting a blue screen saying that windows had encountered a problem and needed to restart...but when it restarted all i would get is another blue screen telling me to either reset again or select an advanced recovery option. Now, i am unable to access anything on my computer and was wondering if anyone else had run into the same problem(s) and if so, what you may have had to do.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately those memory management errors that you were receiving could have been indicative of an underlying hardware problem that might be associated with your hard disk, your GPU or your physical memory modules or their respective slot on your motherboard.
As far as your question
was wondering if anyone else had run into the same problem(s)
There are literally volumes of pages on the internet where people have had various unfortunate experiences with the Roll Back to your Previous OS function within Windows 10.

I suppose now, the first thing you need to do is backup any critical data on that drive before attempting anything else.
Do you have the resources available to you and the requisite skill, to physically remove the drive and attach it to another Windows Computer to backup your critical data or even create a disk image of that hard disk?

Reaction score
I am running a 15.6" Dell Inspiron Laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 around the first or second week of August. I had no problems for about 3 or 3 and a half weeks, up until about this past Tuesday (9/8/15). That day, I got the infamous memory management error blue screen, after which it reset and all was well...or so I thought. Within six hours, it randomly shut down and restarted itself while I was working on a paper in Word. Later that same day, it rebooted itself AGAIN!!! While it only did that twice, it continually closed out of apps that I was in the middle of using without giving me the opportunity to save whatever I was doing.

I read a couple of places that said people were able to get rid of all of these problems by simply downgrading back to their previous versions of windows, so I tried to go back to 8.1. I began the process of the downgrade, and left it. When I returned a few minutes later, it was trying to reboot in 8.1, but I instead was getting a blue screen saying that windows had encountered a problem and needed to restart...but when it restarted all i would get is another blue screen telling me to either reset again or select an advanced recovery option. Now, i am unable to access anything on my computer and was wondering if anyone else had run into the same problem(s) and if so, what you may have had to do.

My PC experienced the same thing. Basically, going to Windows 10 gave me problems like Firefox locking up and the Wireless not recognizing any networks and then Downgrading turned my PC into a Brick.

Reaction score
I was having problems watching videos after upgrading to the windows 10 which was a problem as my class lectures are online. I also tried downgrading back to windows 8 but just as the downgrade finished my computer restarted and got stuck on the checking for disk errors page for 3 days. now it proceeds to the reset/advanced options page but when I try to reset or refresh It just says that there was an error reseting/refreshing. so no. you are not the only one having this problem.

Ask a Question