PC freezing and extremly slow running

Reaction score
My Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop PC running Windows 10 was fine when I switched it off but the next day won't work properly. It will eventually boot after about 10 mins to the desktop but if you hove over the start menu or quicklaunch menu you just get the egg timer. I usually manage to fix most problems with a bit of help but rather stuck here. Any suggestions. I did once manage to get it into safe mode and it was just as sluggish there.

Reaction score
My Inspiron 570 did same thing. I updated drivers for onboard video and thought that to be problem. Seeing you are having same problem makes kind of nervous. Anyhow I had to download Windows 10 to usb and reinstall as I could never get anything to work.These systems are not approved for Windows 10. Onboard graphics don't have proper drivers and neither does Motherboard.

Reaction score
I couldn't do repair only thing I could do was put in different graphics card and redo windows 10. There is not the correct driver available for my onboard video card or onboard drivers which is ATI 4200HD. Mother is running same system and no problems lately that I am aware of. The problem comes in on video as well as audio. Video skips on 1080p and audio only is stereo. If you download from ATI site for correct drivers it will screw up all onboard components. My drive light was on steady but task manager showed 40%. That is why it couldn't be repaired. Heck could even have been updated over night and I could not tell cause took to long to get to settings to check. Hours of being locked up and nothing I could do.

Reaction score
I reinstalled windows completely and still have the problem to some extent though not as bad. Boot time was 25 seconds before this happened now 5-7 minutes. Freezing opening folders. Have run memtest and all ok. What else can I try?

Reaction score
Did you try to install any drivers? Reason I asked is the system you have is not supported for 10 and Dell is not releasing drivers. My video drivers are not available so I went to amd site and downloaded drivers for the ATI HD4200 drivers then system went down. I couldn't do anything with it without waiting minutes. Did task manager and nothing showed up but seen my harddive light on steady. USB was also giving errors for wireless keyboard and mouse. I have a PCIE Video card from NVIDIA but anyhow I deleted all drivers for onboard video still was a problem cause motherboard drivers were detected and installed with video drivers. I started over and let 10 put drivers and used NVIDIA card and all problems solved. I say this knowing my mothers PC is same as mine and hers is slow but not as bad as mine was but she doesn't run as many programs. One thing else is if you have Dropbox that could be your problem as this program will use all your memory and things slow to a crawl until Dropbox uploads files which happen as soon as you log on. Also lastly is uninstall all antivirus and malware detection programs. Don't know how much memory you have but I only have 4 gigs and will be installing more as I can tell that this is bare minimum needed although some claim 2 gig is enough.

Ask a Question