PC update, Desktop disappeared

Reaction score
My laptop updated itself and I can't seem to get back to the desktop. I'm left with four very annoying columns of apps appearing. I want to get rid of that! Any pointers?

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 514
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Jack.

I'm not sure what happened, but you might be on the Metro interface. If you upgraded from Windows 7, you wouldn't recognize it. Left-click the Start Button and see if that takes you back to your desktop. If that doesn't work, press the Windows key.

And if that doesn't work, give us a more detailed description of what happened and we'll try again.

Reaction score
Hi Vince,

I was on Windows 10. From a bit of investigation I found out it was a Windows software update that automatically installed when powering on. I tried a couple of things, and nothing seemed to work. Luckily I backed up last week, so I just reset my laptop to then, and it appears to have rectified anything so far.

Still not a 100% sure though what was making me see the app lists instead of my desktop.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check Tablet Mode and see if you can click it to toggle it on and off, by clicking the notification icon in the taskbar bottom right near the clock.
Other than that you may have Start displaying as "Use Start full screen"
Click the Start Button, choose Settings, click Personalization, in the left column select Start, change the slider for Use Start full screen to OFF.

Ask a Question