SOLVED PC will not shut-down/restart

Reaction score
Hi

I did an in-place upgrade to Win10 from 8.1 yesterday and now the PC won't shut-down (or restart) unless I use the power button. I'm using the power button (right click> shut down). The PC switches off the monitor but the fans still spin. At the point where the shutdown screen appears there's a Windows error bleep but obviously I can't view the error.

I've tried going through the error log and apart from an awful lot of warnings about a misconfigured Task Scheduler I can't find one which relates specifically pointing to a shut-down issue. I haven't got any yellow "!" in Device Manager so it's not an obvious Driver/hardware issue.

The PC will shutdown if I do it in safe-mode.

Specs
Intel I5 750 2.60 @ 3.80 (could this be the issue? Hope not)
Asus P755D-Evo mobo
AMD R9 270x GPU
8 GB RAM
Asus Xonar DX2 sound card

Anyhoo hope someone can help (I've already had to use dark magic to get Win10 to DL and install and I'm running out eye of newt ;))

TIA

Bill

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you right click the windows logo key and choose the shutdown option from there, will Windows shutdown completely?
If you launch an elevated command prompt and type
shutdown /s /t 0
Will that shut Windows down completely?

Reaction score
Hi. Yes it will shut-down normally if I use the above method (haven't tried running the elevated CMD prompt). For some reason I didn't think there was any difference between the right click shutdown and the start menu option.

Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The shut down button is to some extent controlled by your power.cfg settings.
Have a look
powerbuton.JPG

Reaction score
Mine is as the screen-shot you've attached. The thing is the problem appears to have gone away. I can shutdown the PC normally by left clicking on Start > power > shutdown. I did run a diagnostic test for power issues in windows and this ended up fixing some issues. I also ran a registry repair programme.

Can't really say what the issue was caused by but at least it seems fine now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also ran a registry repair programme.
Eeeeekkk!

Well, still, glad to hear that the issue is resolved.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Alls well, that ends.....
I suppose.

Reaction score
Just an FYI. I had created a shutdown, sleep, reboot, and log off shortcut to have on the desktop for Win 7. They still work in Win 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... the same was very popular in Windows 8 (not so much in 8.1).
The good ole, reliable command line.
Never leave home without it.

Ask a Question