SOLVED PDF programs

Reaction score
I noticed, in Ian's thread regarding "essentials", several members have foxit reader installed. I always have an interest in moving forward, with software.
What do the users find is an advantage in Foxit reader to the PDF option in Edge?

I use WPS, or , as it was once called, Kingston. It opens PDFs for editing, instantly, and can also double up as a top notch office suite of course.

Reaction score
I have Adobe Acrobat on a couple of computers, Nitro PDF on one, Foxit on one and about to install Lightning PDF on one. They all do about the same thing for creating/editing PDF files but some of the other features may or may not be important such as security, such as locking down what a recipient can do. So far the Edge version hasn't worked too well for me, maybe because Edge itself doesn't work too well. I've been using a version of Adobe Acrobat since back in the late '90s, now still have 8 on a Win10 computer and a Tablet, XI on a Win10 Notebook and 9 on a Windows Notebook plus on my MacBook.

Reaction score
tks for the feedback.
I am thinking , possibly, into xtra features. As far as I am aware, although I have not used it for some years, Adobe Acrobat does not allow editing?

I have no problems, as a browser or a PDF reader, with Edge, but, my thread is really a query as to the advantage of adding a third party program for PDFs, rather than use built in features such as Edge. Forget Office 2016, that is hopelessly slow with PDF files.

Reaction score
tks for the feedback.
I am thinking , possibly, into xtra features. As far as I am aware, although I have not used it for some years, Adobe Acrobat does not allow editing?

I have no problems, as a browser or a PDF reader, with Edge, but, my thread is really a query as to the advantage of adding a third party program for PDFs, rather than use built in features such as Edge. Forget Office 2016, that is hopelessly slow with PDF files.
Adobe Acrobat does allow editing but it depends upon whether the author set permissions to allow it. Actually, by default there are no restrictions on a document but several things one can prevent such as not printing, etc.

Reaction score
Well I use acrobat on a daily basis. I owned a copy of acrobat 8 pro, then used a pirated copy of 9 for years. While cleaning up all my computers of non legal software. I looked around for a replacement. I don't mind paying as I said I use it daily, but $600 for this type program is just too much. I have landed on Nuance PDF Advanced 2.0 License is good for 2 computers the link is a good price for this. Nuance runs regular sales on their products. I think full price is $150. I have been using it now for a few months and for what I do it works very well. Setting are a bit different and took me awhile to get things working as I'm used to. Their tech support was friendly accessible and understood how the program worked. This is not just a reader program its full blown Acrobat Pro Replacement.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I primarily use Chrome, but on some PCs I do use Edge as a PDF reader. Although I have no problems with Edge as a PDF reader, I install Foxit because I like the advanced annotation and viewing features. I've avoided Adobe Acrobat like the plague (since they used to get so have so many attack vectors in Acrobat, especially when embedded PDFs were used online).

If you're using Edge simply as a reader (no annotation, snipping, signing, etc...) then I don't think you're missing anything - it's pretty fast.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't actually work with PDFs anymore so I don't install any third party programs and find Edge sufficient for opening and reading such files.
Prior to "Edge" I used FoxIt Reader exclusively, not because it was necessarily better than Adobe Reader, but because the Adobe product seemed to have a bigger footprint, installed some bloatware (Adobe Air) and seemed to consume system resources unnecessarily (scheduled tasks and services)

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. I have installed foxit reader, for the heck of it. Nothing there that stuns me. I' stick to Office for editing and Edge, as said, is quite adequate for viewing.

Thread marked as solved.

Ask a Question