Pen and Touch

Reaction score
Since I downloaded Windows 10 my touchscreen has been deactivated. In fact, per the attached screenshot, it stated that "No Pen and Touch are available for this display"; this is clearly incorrect since this was a touchscreen notebook prior to the OS upgrade.
I tried calibrating and that was a waste of time. Can you help?

Reaction score
Since I downloaded Windows 10 my touchscreen has been deactivated. In fact, per the attached screenshot, it stated that "No Pen and Touch are available for this display"; this is clearly incorrect since this was a touchscreen notebook prior to the OS upgrade.
I tried calibrating and that was a waste of time. Can you help?
I also encountered the same problem after upgrading from 8.1 to 10 on my Dell Inspiron a couple days ago. The touch screen has been deactivated with no apparent way to make it work again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you guys checked the computer manufacturer's website and see if installing the touchscreen drivers might help.

Reaction score
After 2 hours on the phone with Dell support last night (and searching for drivers on Dell's support website) the answer is "the driver for Windows 10 is not yet available". No estimate of when it will be available. I think I "upgraded" to Windows 10 too soon. It's slow, buggy and missing required drivers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
After 2 hours on the phone with Dell support last night (and searching for drivers on Dell's support website) the answer is "the driver for Windows 10 is not yet available". No estimate of when it will be available. I think I "upgraded" to Windows 10 too soon. It's slow, buggy and missing required drivers.
Very sorry to hear the disappointing outcome with respect to your communication with Dell. (It's not like they didn't have since last October to start getting their proverbial ducks in a row).
But, thanks for posting back and updating this thread with that information. It will hopefully help to save others some time as well as maybe making a decision to hold off a while on the upgrade to such devices.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear the disappointing outcome with respect to your communication with Dell. (It's not like they didn't have since last October to start getting their proverbial ducks in a row).
But, thanks for posting back and updating this thread with that information. It will hopefully help to save others some time as well as maybe making a decision to hold off a while on the upgrade to such devices.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy
Update: The problem was not lack of a driver. It was a simple matter that the Windows 10 installation turned the keyboard function off as that is the "recommended" setting for some strange reason. It is not intuitive how to turn it on. I found it by accident. Show "hidden icons" in notification area, click on the keyboard icon and go to the keyboard "lock" settings. There you are able to unlock it and then it seems to work great! Now I'm wondering why "Dell Support" told me the problem was the driver (or lack thereof).

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my Toshiba M780 - how do you go to the keyboard "lock" settings please - so that I can try this. Thanks.

Reaction score
In the lower right corner of your screen there are icons in the task bar (battery strength, wireless connection, etc.). Just to the left of these icons there is an "up arrow". Hovering over the "up arrow" it should say "Show hidden icons". If you click on that "up arrow" a gray box will appear showing all the hidden icons. Hovering of each of them will tell you what they are. On my computer the "keyboard lock" is in the top row. Left click on the keyboard lock icon and it opens another menu which will let you temporarily unlock the keyboard or go to the keyboard properties where you can unlock it permanently. In the keyboard properties there are three tabs. One of them is called "Keyboard Lock". "Auto lock" is the recommended setting but I chose the "never lock" button and have been happy ever since!

Reaction score
Thanks Yomanne - but unfortunately I don't have a Keyboard Lock - I can see the touch keyboard icon - but if I click it - it just opens up - never mind - I'll wait and see if a fix comes with a future update. Appreciate your time.

Ask a Question