SOLVED Phone Threat about Windows...

Reaction score
Just got a strange message left on my answering machine. I did not get all of it but did hear the service on my Microsoft Windows would be stopped and gave me a number to call.

I know I have seen folks post such messages before but has anyone gotten one lately? The voice was computer generated, or at least sounded like it. And an older version of the voice at that..

Probably just another way to go at folks since the bill collector and IRS threats did not work..

Thanks..

Reaction score
We get them on a regular basis Asian male "Hello this is Hector from Microsoft, we have suspect your PC has an infection.... I lead them on as long as I can, then say I don't know where you are getting your information from I don't have Windows I have a MAC, "Click"

Reaction score
I have seen some of the comments about virus situations. The first word I could get on the recording was "expired", so I am assuming they were talking about the license. I did not hear it say it was from Microsoft but I may have missed that. It just stated I would loose the ability to use Windows.

If the message started talking during the answering machine's greeting, I would have missed the first part of what it said. But a Hoax is a Hoax. It was actually funny hearing the old computer generated voice..

I guess I have to wonder, how many folks would actually take these types of messages as true. I would think the elderly would be more susceptible than the younger folks because they have a different mindset. I suppose I really should not be referring as elderly as "their", since I am basically one of them. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
so I am assuming they were talking about the license
Wonder if they realize that the "license" for Windows 10 is perpetual, whether you took advantage of the free upgrade, bought a retail or OEM license or purchased a computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.
Not sure under what circumstances it might "expire". Might be an interesting spiel to hear.

Reaction score
The elderly are vulnerable to many of the scammers out there. Its sad when you hear about them being scammed out thousands of dollars; life savings gone.

Reaction score
Wonder if they realize that the "license" for Windows 10 is perpetual, whether you took advantage of the free upgrade.
I don't think the message had anything to do with any actual installs. It was a shotgun message which was hoping to catch some folks in their hoax. Who knows what I might experience if I had actually called the 800 number I was provided..

Reaction score
Who knows what I might experience if I had actually called the 800 number I was provided..
Hi all,

do not dial any number, it may re-route your call to a 0900 number (here in Germany at least) which might cost you a few Dollars/Pounds/Euros per minute!. :(

The best thing to do is to hang up, do not get into a conversation with them and do not give them your name or bank details or your actual location! (tell them nothing!).;)

There are several scams running here in Germany at any given time, check if their number is showing in your phone display and report them to the police if it happens again!. :)

Thats my tupence worth!. :D

Reaction score
I get a couple of telemarketing calls on my mobile every day. They are often "faked" ( easy to do) so that the actual ID is hidden. They can even look like they are from another country.
For telemarketing, this is actually illegal where I live - they MUST show their correct number. But to catch and inform on them is almost impossible. Often they can be identified by a small delay and an exchange of conversation at the other end

A totally useless occupations, but, just for a little amusement, I sometimes ring the dialled number on my house phone. In most cases it informs me that the number does not exist, and so the fun begins!
It would be very simple for authorities to close down the sites who exploit the methods of "faking" your own number, but, it seems in this democratic world we live in, those authorities are not prepared to do this. Here, they say that there are legitimate reasons why you would wish to conceal your identity.

I will not post any links to sites which will show you how to. Google and you will find plenty.

Reaction score
What I have been noticing lately is that they are calling from local numbers, the call look like their coming from a local exchange not just area code either but (XXX) 882-XXXX so you almost have to answer even though the number is not in your contact list. so I answer hang up and then block the number for what ever that is worth.

Ask a Question