Photo live tile window

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to select photos to view in the photo live tile- I have been able to select 3 photos and want to add and delete them when desired. Initially when selecting the photos I saw "saving" message ...this is no longer happening. I am unable to select the pictures that I want nor can I delete the pictures that I don't want. Also one picture gets "stuck" and I have to turn off the viewer and turn it back on for it to start working again. This happens all of the time. Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi lindame,

You can reset the Photos live tile by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Select Settings
  • Select Apps
  • Scroll down and left-click on Photos
  • Click the hyperlinked text: Advanced options
  • Click the Reset button, then in alert that pops up click reset
  • Close the Settings window
  • Left-click on Start
  • Click on the Photos Live Tile
  • When Photos app opens wait for it to refresh
  • Close the Photos app
Done! You can now re-open Photos app and select the images you want to display in the live tile.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to select photos to view in the photo live tile- I have been able to select 3 photos and want to add and delete them when desired. Initially when selecting the photos I saw "saving" message ...this is no longer happening. I am unable to select the pictures that I want nor can I delete the pictures that I don't want. Also one picture gets "stuck" and I have to turn off the viewer and turn it back on for it to start working again. This happens all of the time. Thanks
Hi lindame,

You can reset the Photos live tile by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Select Settings
  • Select Apps
  • Scroll down and left-click on Photos
  • Click the hyperlinked text: Advanced options
  • Click the Reset button, then in alert that pops up click reset
  • Close the Settings window
  • Left-click on Start
  • Click on the Photos Live Tile
  • When Photos app opens wait for it to refresh
  • Close the Photos app
Done! You can now re-open Photos app and select the images you want to display in the live tile.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you. I will let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hi,
Above did not work In fact I have an additional issue today...live tile still runs even when it is set OFF. I have reset this app how don't know how many times and it does not work. Obviously this is a faulty application that needs to be replaced by something that works. I see that there are many others who are having similar or the same frustrations when trying to accomplish what should be an enjoyable task.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you used the Feedback app then?

1. To report your issue, and
2. To see whether any solutions are offered yet.

I'm finding the Photos app to be pretty good myself. My only issue with it is the crop tool is a little odd in how it works - but that is only because I'm more acquainted with other Photo editing software and have to learn to use this one. So while I may not be a fan of the tool, its not a reason to not use the app itself.

It's possible you somehow have more than one instance of the Microsoft Photos app installed and that may be creating part of the issues too. To resolve that you could uninstall, then reinstall Microsoft Photos app by doing the following:
  • In your Search/Cortana field type powershell
  • In the search results right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage *Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Press Enter key
  • Close the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console
  • Click the Store icon on taskbar to go to the Store
  • Sign-in, if you need to
  • Now in the Store search field type Microsoft Photos and select it
  • On the page that opens, click Install
  • When done you can either launch it there or close the Store and open Photos from your Start menu

Regedit32

Reaction score
Your photos I assume are stored in your Pictures folder, or a folder you created for them.

These will not be removed by uninstalling the Microsoft Photos app.

Reaction score
Hi, command not working for me:
upload_2017-6-5_20-59-20.png

Am I supposed to the command within a line separating the two phrases: Get-AppxPackage *Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage ??? I wasn't able to copy and paste as you suggested for some reason.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes you need the pipe line which you get by press shift + \ key just above your Enter key

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I hope this more drastic measure may resolve your issue once and for all.

Reaction score
Hi,
It didn't work. I even went into the photo app -" local state " and deleted the unwanted photos from there. I renamed tiles ( photos I wanted) and still the same photos show up. I was able to add one photo to the tile but now it's gone.
I hope that this issue gets resolved very soon. Thanks for your help and patience.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi lindame,

That is a real shame. Sorry it did not improve things for you.

Today, I popped onto the Store and downloaded the latest updates, one of which was for the Photos app.

After updating it, and opening Photos I click the Ellipsis . . . > Settings and noticed that the options for Lie Tile are different now. I've attached below an image of what I am seeing, but in essence you have two choices:
  • Allow Live Tile to display recent photos (It does not give you an option to say how many)
  • To display a single photo only

lt.png

Is this what you are seeing too? Perhaps this is part of what is going on for you.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,
Yes that is was I am seeing
upload_2017-6-7_15-59-17.png

thank you for your follow-up and concern. I really appreciate you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
In that case all I can think of is you'd need to view some different photos in your collection, if you intend on using Recent Photos option for live tile, or add some new Photos to your collection, which would then become your most recent Photos.

Ask a Question