Picture Compression

CJW

Reaction score
For years I've been taking the pictures from my camera (huge file size), opening one with the windows software, clicking on a huge batch and then going to the right of the screen where there was a compression function with three or four choices to reduce the file size for use in web postings or documents. I now have Windows 10 and can find no such function in "Photos". A friend also has Windows 10 and his version has the old function. Anyone have clue. My Dell machine came with Windows installed.

Reaction score
I have nothing for compression in the photo's app. You could try using "Paint" to reduce the size.
I thought that windows 10 automatically compressed the size of pics that are sent as email attachments?

Reaction score
The file format of .jpg/.jpeg is about as compressed as it gets where the RAW format in cameras can be quite large, compare a .jpg of 3MB that may be as large as 20MB in the RAW format [learned that when helping a client who couldn't figure why his internal memory and Compact Flash cards filled up so fast].

If I occasionally have an E-Mail with an image I want I may use PrntScrn and Paste into Paint/MSPaint then Select only what I want the Crop and Save. Images can also be resized in Paint. Some graphics editors can reduce the levels of color and other things to make smaller file sizes.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This little tool may be useful if you want to re-size images for sending in e-mails. It physically re-sizes them, rather then compressing them further. As Bighorn mentioned, .JPG is already a lossy compressed format - so resizing large pixel count images is a good way to take the filesize down :).

Tool Link:
http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Reaction score
I guess Photoshop can deal with RAW images and make a smaller picture in a different format?
If Photoshop can do it there must be free/shareware programs that can as well. Gimp?

Reaction score
Irfanview can deal with any image format out there and do batch conversions. So regardless of what file format your camera uses, you can batch convert the image files to jpg or png, or whatever format you like.

Ask a Question