Picture folder missing!

Reaction score
First sorry for the mistake in the tittle. Since I up-date from Windows 7 to 10, the folder that I was using as a background slide show is missing. I look for it on the windows.old folder and is not there; but the slide show keep showing the pictures in the slide show. Any suggestions where to find the folder?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ACFT83-23990,

It's possible in Windows 7 you made use of the Photo Gallery folder to select all your available pictures for a slide show. If that is the case then when you upgraded to Windows 10 its location would be here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery

Windows Live is part of the Windows Live Essentials application, so if you used a different application to create your slide show, and you can recall its name, it will most likely be here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ < name of the application you used to make slide show > \ <folder with images for slide show>

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ACFT83-23990,

It's possible in Windows 7 you made use of the Photo Gallery folder to select all your available pictures for a slide show. If that is the case then when you upgraded to Windows 10 its location would be here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery

Windows Live is part of the Windows Live Essentials application, so if you used a different application to create your slide show, and you can recall its name, it will most likely be here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ < name of the application you used to make slide show > \ <folder with images for slide show>

Regards,

Regedit32

No; no luck there. I just open the folder thru the personalization on the settings.

Regedit32

Reaction score
No; no luck there. I just open the folder thru the personalization on the settings.

Hi again,

Are you talking about the Pictures folder accessed by clicking the Browse button as indicated in this sample?

Choose Picture.png

That Browse button by default opens This PC > Pictures folder unless you changed this setting yourself.

So in my case that equates to C:\Users\Regedit32\Pictures

For you Regedit32 would be our log in user name of course.

Is this the folder you want to access?

If yes, are you saying that Pictures folder is missing from your user name directory?

Or were you meaning like in this sample image?

Choose Slideshow Pictures.png

Again, the default folder opened clicking Browse button here would be This PC > Pictures

Is the Pictures folder located in C:\Users\< your user name you log in with here > or is that your issue; is the Pictures folder completely missing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have a C:\Pictures folder.

But the screen show defaults to
C:\Users\username\Documents\Pictures\Saved Pictures

You can pop any pictures you like into there.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't have a C:\Pictures folder.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out.

I made a mistake typing from memory and had meant This PC > Pictures which equates to

C:\Users\<Username>\Pictures, or in my case:
C:\Users\Regedit32\Pictures​

I've edited my original post to correct this error. Appreciate you spotting that.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just reading through the op's post again. I think he may be needing to look here:
C:\Windows\Web
There are two folders there. One of them may contain what he is seeking.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks davehc, I wasn't even aware of that folder.
Seems that if the OP knows the name of even one of the files currently being used, he might simply search for that file on the drives, including OneDrive and perhaps that might reveal the path to those images.

Reaction score
Ok; to answer all the posts
1st Regedit32: Yes the folder name do appear on the "Choose album for Slideshow" part but when you click on the Browse button the folder that appears to be in the picture folder isn't there.
2nd I did check on the C:\User\<my user name>\Pictures nothing there.
3rd davehc: Yes I did check that to nothing there
4th On the C:\Windows\Web Nothing

The funny thing is that the picture keep appearing on the background as a slideshow from the same folder.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So when you click that Browse Button what is the full path that opens?

Is it:
  • This PC > Pictures
  • C:\Users\<you user name>\Pictures
  • Something else?

but when you click on the Browse button the folder that appears to be in the picture folder isn't there

What is the name of this folder you say appears to be inside the Picture folder?

If you open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<you user name>\Pictures, then:
  • In File Explorers toolbar at top click View tab then place check next to Hidden items

Does this missing folder appear now?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
So when you click that Browse Button what is the full path that opens?

Is it:
  • This PC > Pictures
  • C:\Users\<you user name>\Pictures
  • Something else?

What is the name of this folder you say appears to be inside the Picture folder?

If you open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<you user name>\Pictures, then:
  • In File Explorers toolbar at top click View tab then place check next to Hidden items

Does this missing folder appear now?

Regards,

Regedit32
Nop; it's like a dam ghost
And what appears is This PC > Pictures then all the other folders

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK,

So after selecting Slideshow and clicking the browse button as in image below:

Choose Slideshow Pictures.png

A new window opens like the image below (Folders inside of course will be different to mine):

This PC Pictures.png

Note: In the address bar of above image you are seeing This PC > Picture > correct? Please confirm.

And you say the folder you expect to see there is like a Ghost. What is the name of the Folder you expect to see there? Do you recall any of the picture file names that you expect would be in that folder?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just had a thought :rolleyes:

Try the following:
  • Open File Explorer
  • In the top bar click View tab | then make sure Hidden items has a check mark next to it
  • Now in the left pane navigate to this location:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery
You'll now be at this location as per image below:

Windows Photo Gallery.png

Note: Obviously your user name is not Regedit32, so in your view you'll see your own user name in the address bar.

As you can see inside this location is a folder named Original Images

Open that folder. Is your slideshow photos sitting there? Or maybe even your mystery Ghost folder?

By the way should you actually find this Ghost folder how about changing its icon to look like:

casper_folder_icon_by_mikromike-d8lljx0.png

Reaction score
I believe the Photo Gallery is part of Windows Essentials. This collection is no longer supported, but I still use the Live Mail portion. On advice, I understood that, due to compatibility issues, and the lack of further support, it was unwise to selct anything else from the package. I haven't experimented, as I have better programs for each item. The built in replacement in windows 10 is the Photo App (Photos in the start menu)

The path to mine is
C:\Users\David\Documents\Graphics\PHOTOS, but I move things around so it may differ for individuals.

Ask a Question