Pictures in a Word file no longer appear

Reaction score
I have a long Word file created with Word 2013 on a PC.
I often drop pictures in the file using the Windoes 8 snipping tool,
After I installed Windows10, the pictures appear as an empty box. The text looks fine, but there are no more pictures.
Help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IS it possible that the image files in your word document are linked rather than embedded.
If so you may have to re-establish the links.
Where are the actual images stored?
If local on your computer, right click the parent container and choose properties, select the security tab and see if your user account has full control to all subfolders and files.

Reaction score
The photos are not linked to the Internet nor to photos on my hard drive..
I use the Snipping Tool that came with my Windows 8 or 8.1 (and that I still have with Windows 10)
When I find a picture (usually online) that I want to insert in my Word file (or in an email),I follow these steps:
-click a picture.
-click the Snipping Tool on my desktop
-save it (Ctr S)
-drop it in my Word file (Ctr V)

I never had any problems with inserting pictures before Windows 10. The Snipping Took is a big help. Not only is it easy to insert pictures, I can re-size them without losing perspective.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Just come across this page whilst looking for something else (the answer to which I have yet to find!), but images not appearing, or just disappearing, in WORD has been a sporadic issue over many years and few, if any, people have ever got to the bottom of why it happens - but it looks like some sort of failed interaction between the OS and OFFICE installations.

It happened to me about 18 months ago with WORD 2010 and WIN 7 Ultimate - the sad story is here on the answers.microsoft.com site

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...inserted/ceeb9bb5-6584-4985-8d60-0f13152f33dd
- as is the long and painful process I had to go through to fix the problem, although I never did find out what had actually gone wrong, but it has never re-occurred since on the same machine (or on any other machine I have running W7 and Office 2010).

Reaction score
plinste31

I tried all that and much much more without any success (spent hours/days trying various approaches) - and when you have several very long and important technical reports with lots of images and so on to fix, the task becomes intolerable.

Also looked long and hard for guidance on the web and nothing I found worked - so in the end I did as outlined in the linked thread on answers.microsoft... and that DID work, and has continued to do so in the 3yrs since. It should also be noted that the MS pro who moderated that part of the site confirmed that lots of other people had run into the same problems and no-one (else) had found a satisfactory and consistent solution to it.

Reaction score
The photos are not linked to the Internet nor to photos on my hard drive..
I use the Snipping Tool that came with my Windows 8 or 8.1 (and that I still have with Windows 10)
When I find a picture (usually online) that I want to insert in my Word file (or in an email),I follow these steps:
-click a picture.
-click the Snipping Tool on my desktop
-save it (Ctr S)
-drop it in my Word file (Ctr V)

I never had any problems with inserting pictures before Windows 10. The Snipping Took is a big help. Not only is it easy to insert pictures, I can re-size them without losing perspective.

Thanks.
I have never had this problem, but I don't do exactly what you describe. What I have always done (Word in Office 2013 now) is:

- Start with the target image or target window open in front of me
- Open the Windows Snip Tool and select New > Rectangular Snip or Windows Snip
- For Rectangular Snip I drag a rectangle over the target area, or for the Window Snip I select the target window
- After the Snipping Tool window opens showing the captured image I dismiss it by pressing the usual red cross at top right and select "No" in the following Save Dialogue Box. This puts the image into Windows' Clipboard
- Then in the open window of a Word file (either a new document or one already having text and images) I do Ctrl+V and it is pasted into the Word File at the cursor position.

This has never failed me, but of course perhaps I have never been affected by this bug. Try it.

Reaction score
Stevekir

If only it were that simple (believe me, I've tried, and I use the Snipping Tool almost every day - this issue is far more complicated than that)!

FWIW, I have been using the Ctl+C/V/X commands in Outlook, Office and Wordperfect, and many other programs for decades, and I know what they can and cannot do.

As I said earlier, this is a much deeper underlying OS and Word/Office interaction issue - and very difficult to solve.

BTW, if ANYONE has a REAL solution to the problem then please feel free to contribute - we will all be very grateful.!

Last edited:

Ask a Question