PICTURES WON'T OPEN

Reaction score
This is another by-product of the start menu problem. Once finished with major issues I tried to open my pictures. The pictures are not in windows Photo Gallery but directly on my C drive ie: C:/users/ottilitgirl/Pat's Pictures/Christmas 2014. The pictures do not open and I get this message "This action only valid for products that are currently installed". Has any one else gotten this message or have any ideas? Thank YOU.

3:21PM I just tried again. Today I get the thumbnails but when I try to open them the message is
"invalid value for registry"

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This action only valid for products that are currently installed
That message sounds like something you would receive if whatever application is set as default for image handling is not installed or has another issue.
You could try changing the default from the MS "Photos" app to something like MS "Paint" and see if that resolved the issue.
invalid value for registry
That message sounds like something you might be able to address by running the native System File Checker
Right click the start button and choose
Command Prompt (admin) and type
sfc /scannow
see if that helps at all.

Additionally make sure you are routinely checking for Windows Updates and well as Store and Store App updates.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Download Windows Photo Viewer that should make your photo's come up it did mine.
Also Windows Media Player will work as well

Reaction score
The pictures are not in windows Photo Gallery

Since you mentioned Windows Photo Gallery, I take it that you have Windows Essentials installed.
Go to Programs and Features > scroll down to Windows Essentials > right click at it > click Uninstall/Change > on the next window, select Repair option.

See if that makes any difference.

*** you have been advised to run system file check, sfc /scannow. Make sure you do that. ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
All good things must come to an end! I restarted my computer and everything that had come back is now gone again. Very frustrating. I've run the sfc / scannow before, yesterday in fact but I am going to run it now.,

Ask a Question