Pin protect problem

Reaction score
Just had Windows 10 install 3 weeks ago. Immediately set up password & pin protect for sign-in options. Just used pin protect only for convenience. That worked great up until now. Now when I go in to try to assign a pin number, it takes me to password change. What happened?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Monica,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure I am following your post correctly. Are you meaning when you boot computer, your Sign-in page is now showing you the Password prompt, rather than the Pin prompt?

Reaction score
Make sure you are entering the correct pin number.
Are you logging in using a local account? You can only use a pin if you're logging into Windows 10 using a MS account, but you still are required to enter and verify your MS account password when setting up a pin.

Regedit will have more on this when you respond to his query.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Make sure you are entering the correct pin number.
Are you logging in using a local account? You can only use a pin if you're logging into Windows 10 using a MS account, but you still are required to enter and verify your MS account password when setting up a pin.

Regedit will have more on this when you respond to his query.

I am not so sure about that. I have a local account only that I secured with a password and I was able to assign a PIN without a MS account, just the local account. No verification with a MS account needed

Reaction score
Grizzly I could be wrong, maybe you have to assign a password local or MS before you can enable and assign a pin.
I think this is the password that Windows is asking the OP to change?

Ask a Question