Please help! - Network Protocols

Reaction score
Hi. I need help and Verizon doesn't seem to be able to help me. While I wouldn't consider myself at expert, I do feel I am somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to computers, networking, etc... Here is my current situation:

I installed a new router over the weekend. Verizon Quantum gateway router. It is working fine on all our laptops, iPads, iPhones and Xbox one. I am able to connect through wifi and all is good. However, it is not working on our desktop computer which is running Windows 10. All lights are solid and everything is work but it can not connect to the Internet. When I do the Windows diagnostic, I get "one or more network protocols is missing". I have spent well over 5 hours researching and trying many different things but nothing works. From what I can tell, I need to reset the network protocols, winsock, etc...but it keeps failing when I try to do it through cmd prompt. I finally was able to give myself elevation to run as administrator (on my own computer!) but that didn't help. I have literally tried everything anyone has suggested on the internet. Nothing has worked and I am beyond frustrated.

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions? Thanks in advance.

Will

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since the problem seems to be unique to the one computer, it might help if we had some information about it.
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number please).
How are you attempting to connect....
Wired? Wireless? Built in and integrated network adapter or add on third party adapter or USB wireless dongle?
Any specifics you can provide with respect to the exact network adapter you are attempting to use?

Reaction score
I had the message after one of the very large Cumulative updates, a while ago.

Networking is a bit of a dark area for me. I right clicked the network icon on the right of the taskbar and selected the troubleshooting option. In it second "phase", it said checking protocols. It fixed it. Trouble might explain what it might have "fixed".

Reaction score
That message seems to crop up with monotonous regularity when there is a problem with network connections. Some say it is a problem recently introduced in a newish build with a solution due later in the year but his might just be a wild rumour or might be the answer provided by davehc. I have had much the same problem but have a network that is working partially but enough to do what I want even if it is fiddly.

First place I would look is the Firewall settings on both the modem and the Win10 boxes. Perhaps one of these is causing the problems. Then the options on the IPv4 and IPv6 network adaptors (Settings->Network->change adapter settings)

Reaction score
Hi, I had a problem where during the day i was losing my network and the message i got was missing protocols, at that time i was using Windows 10 Backup every 3 hours and it was always after that when i lost my Ethernet connection, since switching Windows backup off a week ago the problem has disappeared so i am now going to look at another software to use for backup. This may not solve your issue but it is something else to be aware of with Windows 10.

Reaction score
Yesterday, WINDOWS updates were installed automatically. Connection to Internet worked as normal. However, when the desktop PC was powered up today, there was no connection to internet. Trouble shooting showed the issue "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer". The detail is "Windows Socket registry entries required for network connectivity are missing"! Please tell me how I can correct this problem which obviously was created by that WINDOWS upgrade.
Please note that I am writing this message from another PC which has not got the upgrade yet and which is sharing the same broadband connection. I have noticed one difference between the two. In the Internet and Sharing Centre screen, the connection for the problem PC is Local Area Network, but for the 2nd PC it is Ethernet. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem and I suspect that it is changed by the upgrade.
Please help!

Reaction score
Hi, there does seem to be problems with some of the updates coming through, one quick easy answer is if you know what the update number is uninstall it and then hide the update to see if it is the one causing the issue. To uninstall go through the normal Programs and Features, then turn off updates auto install. Then go to this address https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
As you can then hide the update to stop it installing and if your system is then working ok you know for definite that the update has caused the issue.
Hope that this helps you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have checked the update log. There are more than 50 items in the most recent update. All are grouped under MS Office Standard 2010. I have tried to uninstall all but 4 cannot be done. The strange thing is that about 30 items reappeared after I closed and opened the log again. And of course I still cannot connect to internet with the same error message after restart!

Reaction score
I do not think that the problem is to do with MS Office it is more than likely a windows 10 or a driver update, have you retried the troubleshoot problems by right clicking on your connection. That sometimes has to be redone once you have removed the update, The 4 that you cannot remove what are the KB numbers? Also have you tried redoing the Command Prompt (Admin) as described in 2 other Solved Restore Network Protocols Threads.

Reaction score
I also do not think so. But those are the only updates done just before the problem! The most suspicious update that could not be removed is KB2687455 which is a service pack.
I suppose you meant the one on Winsock reset. I have run the instructions. For the first command line, there are 5 resets done but the last failed with "access denied". Don't know what the last one is because it just said Reset failed. The 2nd command line was done successfully. After restart, the problem is still the same. Troubleshoot again and the problem remains!

Reaction score
I have been having a look on the internet at the issues and there seems to be a lot of issues with this Office service pack, i will attach an address for another website that gives you a lot off issues with it at the bottom of that page it shows a link to Microsoft site and how to uninstall. My feeling is, in your position completely uninstall office 2010 and well as make the update disappears from your computer, then reinstall office 2010 and block the update as per previous threads before it attempts to auto update. Read the issues below!
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/155911-Office-2010-SP2-update-problems

Reaction score
I have uninstalled Office and after restart, same problem! Troubleshoot and run the Winsock reset commands again won't help. The problem is still "Windows Socket registry entries required for network connectivity are missing". A bit desperate!

Reaction score
This may sound silly but when i was having issues with the LAN connections, the first thing that i thought about was the motherboard having drivers issues with Windows 10, i am guessing that windows has updated your drivers to what it expects the right driver to be. Have you ever been able to connect to the internet with this PC whilst windows 10 is installed? If the answer is no or only for a short while then one option would be to get a 3rd party Ethernet card (quite cheep but look to see what it is compatible with ie Windows version) install it, if that works then it would save having a possible upgrade with the motherboard etc if that is the cause. I would have thought that a new USB 2.0 Wireless -N Adapter should also work as it worked on mine, (but i prefer Ethernet with Cat5 or 6 cables) give one of these options a try (sorry if you have already done that)

Reaction score
There was no connection problem before that Office update. It was working everyday in the last few months after upgrading to Win 10.

Reaction score
Have you tried using a USB Wifi? if not try that to get back up and running and then we can further attempt to resolve your issue as once you are up and running, windows may even correct it if you go into device manager and delete the original driver. Then look at reloading office.

Reaction score
Had same problem with one of my computers with 10 after a reset. Problem was time had the wrong region as internet protocol needs same time on modem as PC. Check both but seems like if all the others are working then it should be the PC. I set time to correct region then rebooted. Everything has been great. Oh if you have Dropbox disable it as for some reason when Dropbox is running it will kill the internet if big amounts of data are being downloaded.

Ask a Question