SOLVED Portable Programs in Windows 10

Reaction score
I find that many of the programs I use (especially those that are used infrequently) are useful in a PORTABLE format. The PORTABLE format also allows me to keep programs on a USB drive when needed.

I installed the final version of Windows 10. Windows 10 does NOT run half of my PORTABLE programs - even with Compatablity options set. I am sure that many of these compatability issues will be sorted out as software developers and application virtualization vendors learn more about Windows 10 and update their programs to deal with Windows 10.

Does anyone have any experience with application virtualization and Windows 10?

Jpeni

Reaction score
All my portable programs work fine. Most are benchmarking and monitoring tools. But I have a handful of other portable programs. All work fine. What programs are you having issues with?

Reaction score
My portable programs are a variety of graphic utilities, media converters, pdf utilities, multimedia, video processing, text processing, etc. The range from small utilities to full blown software like photoshop and acrobat. I usually install a portable version for programs I do not use often and for portability when working on other computers.

The following is a common error when running an incompatible portable app in Windows 10:

"ThinApp has encountered an unexpected error, Click Abort to close the
application, Retry to debug, or Continue to ignore the error, Support
info: PID=2392, Wow64,cpp@4S4"

I am aware that Thinapp may have to update their software to accommodate any changes or requirements in Windows 10.

Can portable Windows programs be created that are not affected by Windows operating system compatability or requirements? Can portable programs be created that contain all required Windows files and support files and run in a VIRTUAL environment that is not dependent on installed Windows?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many of my old portable apps that were created in Windows 7 do not work on Windows 10. In addition, the new version of Thinapp does not work with Windows 10 x64. Thinapp creates the portable program, but the completed program displays an error and does not work. Thinapp worked for me in Windows 7, but it fails in Windows 10 x64.

I had problems creating portable apps with Windows 10 until I started using the latest version of Cameyo (www.cameyo.com).

I tested the latest version of Cameyo and have had no problems creating portable applications with many programs in Windows 10 x64. Some programs (that had problems even with Windows 7) still dont virtualize (such as Office 2013 and Office 2016) but most programs I have tested work.

A second virtualization program I use is Turbo Studio (formerly Spoon Studio) - the new version also works in Windows 10 x64.

I recreated all my old Windows 7 portable programs with Cameyo and Turbo Studio in Windows 10 x64 and have had few problems.

Now I can create portable versions of programs that I use infrequently and keep them handy on a USB drive.

P.S. I create ALL my portable apps on a VirtualBox virtual drive that contains a clean, virgin install of Windows 10 x64.

Ask a Question