Possible Bug with File Explorer Paste function on Home ribbon

Reaction score
I think this scenario I am about to describe is a bug but would like confirmation. I copied a file to the clipboard and planned to paste it into a folder located in the same source folder as the file. If I use the context menu to paste into the destination folder selected, all works fine. But if I select the destination folder (without opening it) and click on the Paste icon/button on the Home ribbon, the file pastes (as a Copy) into the source folder. I would have thought that it would paste into the destination folder.

Reaction score
Hi FloZ_CB&M,

are you selecting the target folder and clicking at least once in an empty space before pasting?, if you are not; it will select the last active folder!. :)

Reaction score
I think this scenario I am about to describe is a bug but would like confirmation. I copied a file to the clipboard and planned to paste it into a folder located in the same source folder as the file. If I use the context menu to paste into the destination folder selected, all works fine. But if I select the destination folder (without opening it) and click on the Paste icon/button on the Home ribbon, the file pastes (as a Copy) into the source folder. I would have thought that it would paste into the destination folder.
Hi FloZ_CB&M,

are you selecting the target folder and clicking at least once in an empty space before pasting?, if you are not; it will select the last active folder!. :)

If I understand you correctly, the answer is No; if you select the target folder and then click on an empty space, the target folder is no longer selected.

Reaction score
...But if I select the destination folder (without opening it) and click on the Paste icon/button on the Home ribbon, the file pastes (as a Copy) into the source folder. I would have thought that it would paste into the destination folder.
That's exactly the way it has always worked. It is not a bug.

Reaction score
That's exactly the way it has always worked. It is not a bug.
OK; I will accept that it is not considered a bug. But other options for pasting a file exist (i.e. right click, Paste) without having to open the folder. So I would have thought the Paste button on the ribbon would have worked similarly.

Reaction score
OK; I will accept that it is not considered a bug. But other options for pasting a file exist (i.e. right click, Paste) without having to open the folder. So I would have thought the Paste button on the ribbon would have worked similarly.
I see what you mean. Use whatever works for you.

Ask a Question