Potential issue with my SSD

Reaction score
I've had my SSD for many years and I've tested it yearly to ensure there are no issues. A few weeks ago, my PC started "acting up", menus weren't displaying properly, programs not running, etc. I reinstalled the OS successfully and got everything working. I installed the game Assassin's Creed Origins and after playing for a few minutes, the game froze and eventually I got a Blue screen saying something went wrong and to press Enter or F8...of course this just re-displayed the same page. I tried again to reinstall the OS but this time it didn't display my SSD, only my hard drive (which is where my OS is now). The system works but it's horribly slow!!

I looked at Disk Management and I can see my SSD. I did some checking and it looks fine. I can't figure out what happened or how to get it to become my active partition again.

I'd appreciate any useful help.

Attachments

• System Information.txt
    470.3 KB · Views: 975
  • DxDiag.txt
    75.3 KB · Views: 578
  • Disk Management.PNG
    Disk Management.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 463
Reaction score
His version of Windows 10 is moot. You could clone the hdd to the ssd provided there's enough space on the ssd to do so. I'm not sure if there's any free programs to do this. I believe the paid version of EaseUS can. I'd pull the hdd and see if just the ssd shows in the bios. I'd also check the ssd's smart data to see if there's any potential issues with the drive.

Reaction score
Yes there are several free Imaging/Cloning software out there, Macrium Reflect Free probably top of the line for the last few years.
You said your SSD is several years old? most are warranty for 3 years with high end Samsung Pro at either 10 or 5 years depending on model there Evo Line 5 or 3 again depending on the model purchased. Not sure what Intel has been doing haven't looked in some time my last one was a 530 and it still running in a Raid 0 with a Samsung Pro 830.
What ever company made your SSD should have a free tool on three support website, that tool should tell you if your hard SSD is failing, Hwinfo64 will show you the SMART condition of your SSD or just find the tool of your choice I prefer HD TUNE for analyzing my drives I pay for it.

If you suspect as I do that your ssd is failing replace it. Spinners are really cheap and will tell you is its your system or the SSD and SSD are fairly cheap and much more reliable than older SSD were and way faster depending on your motherboard the M.2 NVME SSD are more that 5x faster than the old SATA SSD. SATA SSD are faster on the right set up you can get 500mb down an up that is the limiting factor of the SATA Controller.

Reaction score
The version of Win 10 has nothing to do with the OP's issue. He has a failing SSD drive. OP should take the advice given by ClintIgm.

Reaction score
HI Bigfeet,

what if he is running 1503 (as an example), it may well have something to do with it?. I'm not saying it does but it won't hurt to check. ;)
In this case, it honestly doesn't matter. 1503 is still Windows 10 and not going to affect an ssd suddenly acting like that. It doesn't hurt to ask, but the tech support flow chart doesn't always call for a specific version number of an OS. Sometimes you have to skip to relevant issue.

Ask a Question