SOLVED Power cuts

Reaction score
I live in a small village with a lot of construction going on; this means that about once a week power is being cut without notice and that presents me with problems.
On starting up again, after the Windows signet, I just get a little black wheel going around. Pressing the PC power button does nothing, I have to turn off the mains and start again.
At some point I was told that the PC had not started correctly, insert recovery disc (don't have one).
I eventually got the message "Scanning and repairing drive C.... 100%." I went for a walk and it was still stuck at this message. I did nothing up to this point using F8.
Turned off at the mains again.
With F8 I could start in Safe mode, but clicking restart took me back to the black screen.
Well, it's etc, etc really, I then tried pressing the power button five times and the PC started normally, although I had tried this before.

The mystery for me is that my wife's 7 year old PC running on XP has no problem with power cuts, only my two year old old Dell does this. All my drivers are up to date and I am on 1703.

Any help please? Keeping it simple if possibe.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
There is no real fix for this but it's rather preventive measures. What happens is when the power cuts out the system has no way of handling it. Hence the errors/issues on start up. With a lot of these power outages, this can lead to permanent damage to the OS and/or hardware.

To protect yourself.....ESPECIALLY....if you have a lot of these is to invest into UPC (uninterruptible power supply). This will allow the PC to stay on for short time when the power goes out allowing the user to shut down any software and turn off the PC safely with out any long term damage.

Reaction score
Thanks. However it is still a mystery to me why the wife's old XP box continues to function. I am looking at UPS units now, not much choice here in Thailand.
Your advice also means that I can't leave the PC on or in sleep mode when I am absent during the day... a bummer.

Reaction score
Anytime I about power issues that my clients have with their computer, during the first service call I will check the polarity of the sockets the computers are plugged into. Used to have to do the same with telephone wall sockets and dial-up modems as reversed polarity in either type will cause problems. Pocketable testers from the hardware store come in handy and are not expensive. Most of the UPS units have a wiring/line test in them.

Reaction score
Anytime I about power issues that my clients have with their computer, during the first service call I will check the polarity of the sockets the computers are plugged into. Used to have to do the same with telephone wall sockets and dial-up modems as reversed polarity in either type will cause problems. Pocketable testers from the hardware store come in handy and are not expensive. Most of the UPS units have a wiring/line test in them.
/Thanks Bighorn and Bassfisher, that seems like a logical soution. I can only check the plugs and wait to see if that works.

Ask a Question