Power off

Reaction score
Just bought a new HP Pavilion with Win 10 installed. About half the time when shutting down the computer, the screen goes blank but the power light stays on and the computer does not shut off. Other times , it functions normally. Sleep modes works as advertised. Not sure if this is a bad switch or SW related.

Reaction score
My thoughts also. HP is working on the problem. Have about 10 days to send it back for a full refund. Funny thing,
the screen goes blank, I can hear the blip after several seconds, and sometime it cuts off and the light goes out (normal) and sometimes the light fails to go out and the computer keeps running. I can at that point hold the switch in and it shuts off. Wish I knew the problem. Hate to have to pack it all up ,plus loose all my configurations, etc. HP has the problem logged and is trying to get it straightened out. I have a time left before my 30 days is up. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Did the hard drive extensive test and memory extensive test. No errors. As you know the HP Pavilion is also a touch screen unit. When I use the touch screen method to turn the unit off, it works every time. The mouse works about half the time. Would you think it might be the receiver that is plugged in to the USB on the back?

Reaction score
It is possible.
Your wireless mouse might be responsible for triggering the computer and therefore not going to sleep.

But I don't have HP Pav and I have no idea how it works.
Perhaps you should google for HP Pavilion support forum and ask the people who actually use the same product. See if they have the same issue and if so, what is the remedy.

Reaction score
You might want to research your issue more! Back when My surface first upgraded, I had this issue. If I can remember, it had something to do with the hibernation setting. I think!

Instead of shutting off, my computer would actually go into hibernation. Even though I was selecting shutdown and not sleep or anything else. I would take it out of my bag and it would be hot from still being on in the bag. I changed the setting and it has been fine since.

Please research more because I can't remember exactly what I did!

Ask a Question