SOLVED Power Options/Settings not working

Reaction score
My Power & sleep settings are not applied by Windows 10 regardless of which setting I choose. The setting I want to work with is the display to turn off after 25 minutes and the machine never. This has been the case over several Windows 10 updates; the current one on my machine is 10.0.19043 Build 19043. I am running a new Dell XPS 8940 under Windows 10 Pro, 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K. This is a new problem for me after running a large number of Dell products over many years. The power settings on my other machines are working as expected.

Also, I noticed on my other computers (1 Dell XPS 8900 and 2 HP Laptops) that some settings appear to change with Windows 10 updates. For example, Lock screen and Background pictures change for no obvious reason. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, how can Microsoft allow this to happen? I am very interested in some feedback on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
HI Wolfgang,
the lock screen pictures will change if they are using Windows Spotlight. You can toggle this by right clicking the desktop > personalization > Lock screen.
You can choose Windows Spotlight, Image, Slideshow.

You speak as though you are familiar with the Power and Sleep settings but the first thing I would be checking is to check the additional settings.
Link below shows exact steps. Also is this a laptop?

Reaction score
Hey, Jason:

Thank you for your reply.

I changed from Spotlight to Picture and I am sure that this is the answer to the changing pictures (Lockscreen, etc.)

For the Power Setting issue, in Additional Settings under Preferred Plans, my option is “My Custom Plan 1” and clicking on it displays the settings I want. It looks as if ALL the settings are o.k. Go figure. It’s not a laptop, I am running a new Dell XPS 8940 under Windows 10 Pro, 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K.

Again, thanks for your input.

Reaction score
My Power & sleep settings are not applied by Windows 10 regardless of which setting I choose. The setting I want to work with is the display to turn off after 25 minutes and the machine never. This has been the case over several Windows 10 updates; the current one on my machine is 10.0.19043 Build 19043. I am running a new Dell XPS 8940 under Windows 10 Pro, 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900K. This is a new problem for me after running a large number of Dell products over many years. The power settings on my other machines are working as expected.

Also, I noticed on my other computers (1 Dell XPS 8900 and 2 HP Laptops) that some settings appear to change with Windows 10 updates. For example, Lock screen and Background pictures change for no obvious reason. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, how can Microsoft allow this to happen? I am very interested in some feedback on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Glad to hear your lockscreen is sorted!

For the power, if your settings are right then your display should turn off after no activity for x time.
If it's not turning off, then maybe there is some activity on the screen. Do you notice any adverts pop up? Or notifications from a web browser?

I did a little research as it's always worked well for me and my company's IT Infrastructure and someone mentioned that Skype sometimes keeps it awake. Check the taskbar notification tray (next to time) and see if Skype is open.

Let me know?

Reaction score
Went through all the options in System Configuration to see if there is anything that causes the problem with the power setting. No success and I am out of ideas. Checking my other Dell desktop and my two HP Laptops, there are no problems and I fail to see any differences between them and my Dell 8940. This is costing me lots of time. As this does not jeopardize my work, I just turn the monitors off when I am done and wait until the next clean installation of Windows.

Thanks for your help.

1624372078773.png

Ask a Question