Power outage after upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10

Reaction score
I downloaded and upgraded the free windows 10 from windows 7 on an HP desktop and everything was fine. About an hour after the upgrade completed, there was power outage. When I powered up the PC after power was restored, the system will boot up to a point where the desktop wall paper is showing, but only Network, Ease of Access and Power icons will show at the bottom right for about 10 seconds, then everything will go away leaving a blue screen (Not BSOD) with the sign of busy rolling in the center and it will stay like that forever (up to 5 hours). I have removed the hard disk and slaved it to a windows 10 machine and run chkdsk /r. At the first run, it returned issues with journal but all issues where resolved, but the problem remains. A second chkdsk run did not return any issue.

In my search for solutions, I have downloaded and created the windows 10 media. When I boot from the DVD, I get "It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No." When I remove the media and click yes, the system reboots and nothing new happens. I have not tried the NO option because I do not want a situation where the clean installation will start by wiping my hard drive.

Somebody please, if I boot from DVD and click NO, will it give me the option to repair my windows? Secondly, could it be that I did not wait long enough for it to finish what it is doing

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you but I would guess the BCD store has gotten confused and reverted back to a setting in place during the upgrade. I believe the upgrade doesn't actually finish until hours or even days after it seems to complete because background processes are moving file or other finishing details.

Have you waited long enough, really hard to say for sure. I might give it extra time since you are dealing with a power loss and possible corruption situation.

If you answer NO, it sounds like the system will boot as an install would. You should be able to choose Repair on the first or second window and get into the repair options. I just hate to say for sure since it is not a normal condition.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Agreed..... I would give it over night at least to see if it managed to correct itself and finish.
Does your PC have a hard disk activity light? Does it seem to be blinking actively while on the "blue" screen? That might indicate that something is still going on.
Additionally, if you have any USB peripherals attached.... wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, wireless USB Dongles of any type especially a USB network dongle, but even a USB printer should be considered.
Disconnect any such peripherals, leaving only the monitor, USB wired keyboard and USB wired mouse attached.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. The No option did give me the choice to repair, which is what I wanted.

1) Under Advanced options, I run Startup Repair. It returned Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.
Log file: D:\WINDOWS\System32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

2) Under Troubleshoot, I run Reset this PC and choose to keep my files . On first run, it said the PC could not be reset (I did not take down the exact words). On second run, it reset but took me back to the same problem that I am trying to solve. The second run was done after I run chkdsk /r which returned same issues with user journals, but like the other time, all issues where resolved.

I am beginning to accept the fact that I may not be able to recover this windows and the key, but could there be something in that SrtTrail.txt file that can help?

@Trouble, yes the hard disk have disk activity, both blinking and normal operating sound that comes now and then. Also, I have nothing else attached but mouse and keyboard.

Ask a Question