SOLVED Power Settings Keeps Changing

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703 - 15063.674 on my Asus laptop and I am having issues with the power settings, every time I make a change and exit the power plan config utility it reverts back to its default setting. I have plans to lock the processor clock speed depending on how much performance I want and this is particularly annoying as on my lowest config setting on the battery, it forces the processor to run at 100% clock speed (3.2 GHz) which absolutely batters the battery and cooks my legs.

I have disabled most of my startup programs which could potentially be the offenders but still no change, my next try would be to test out safemode but I suspect it is a Windows process glitch causing this. Also testing safemode would not really narrow down the problem massively just whether it is an external app or windows.

Help would be very appreciated!

Reaction score
Sounds like something else is using your CPU Cycles something in the back ground like indexing I had this issue after the CU on one computer eventually it settled out.
Since I read this Post I looked in my power setting and sure enough my Sleep was set to 2 hours again?? I know that after every WU they will automatically reset your power setting and you have to go check after each WU I had changed it back after this weeks upgrades. Not worried however next week we upgrade to 1709 and will have that set of issues to work out.

Reaction score
the following fix is actually to prevent the 2 minute sleep mode but may help in your case as well:

Fix the problem by editing your registry

Many affected users have also had luck with applying a certain fix to their registry and
then configuring custom power settings to make sure that your computer only goes to sleep after
a longer period of inactivity. To do so, you need to:

Press Windows Logo key + R to launch a Run

Type regedit into the Run dialog and press Enter.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power > PowerSettings > 238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20 > 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0

In the right pane of the Registry Editor, double-click on a value named Attributes to modify it.

Replace whatever is in this value’s Value data field with 2.

Click on OK.

Exit the Registry Editor.

Once you have applied the registry fix, you need to change your system unattended sleep timeout to a
longer period of time. To do so, you need to:

Open the Start Menu.

Search for “power options”.

Click on the search result titled Power Options.

Click on Change plan settings under your selected power plan.

Click on Change advanced power settings.

Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Click on Sleep.

Select System unattended sleep timeout. The value for this setting will probably be set to 2 minutes – change
it to something longer, for example, 30 minutes.

Apply and save the changes you have made, exit, and the problem should have been fixed.

it might be worth a try.....

Reaction score
Grizzly, thanks for the suggestion unfortunately it did not work :(

Clint, is this something that you know is going to be fixed in a future update, my apologies I did not totally understand your post?

Reaction score
Grizzly, thanks for the suggestion unfortunately it did not work :(

Clint, is this something that you know is going to be fixed in a future update, my apologies I did not totally understand your post?
No Grizzly I don't have any information on that. If fact I think it is intentional on MS part. Most user don't even know where these setting are much less use them. So MS is saving the world putting your computer to sleep.
Now then this changing my setting after a WU is normal, those settings changing on there own with out an WU are new to this version .674 for me at least, so I HOPE that it will be fixed in the FCU upgrade next week

I personally never want my computers to go to sleep, There are always issue with waking up and having all hardware drivers working correctly on tweaked high performance computers.

I am running SSD for all my OS presently and if I not using a computer I shut it off and restart it when I go back. Booting up is only a 10 - 15 Second no reason to deal with Sleep or Hybrid Sleep at all.

Reaction score
Clint,

I agree, they are not really saving the planet by forcing my CPU to operate at 100% clock speed, it reduces my battery life by up to 3 hours or more depending on what I am doing. I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 but I am regretting the move after sticking to Windows 8.1 for nearly 4 years with no issues. I hope they fix this as this is incredibly annoying, I can no longer use my laptop on my bed as it is hitting nearly 70 deg c when watching YouTube videos in 1080p 60fps. Really annoying. The whole point of me upgrading was me thinking that it would be more energy efficient.

Reaction score
Clint,

I agree, they are not really saving the planet by forcing my CPU to operate at 100% clock speed, it reduces my battery life by up to 3 hours or more depending on what I am doing. I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 but I am regretting the move after sticking to Windows 8.1 for nearly 4 years with no issues. I hope they fix this as this is incredibly annoying, I can no longer use my laptop on my bed as it is hitting nearly 70 deg c when watching YouTube videos in 1080p 60fps. Really annoying. The whole point of me upgrading was me thinking that it would be more energy efficient.
Exactly My G75VW bought in 2012 is still on 8.1 working perfectly, I did consider upgrading it to windows 10 and since I'm in the ROG Forums I just watched what others were going through trying to get things to work right. That notebook is with my sister in FL still on windows 8.1 Pro

Things you can try, Windows 10 want you to use its native hardware drivers. I would suggest that you check out the support site for your notebooks and see if they have some drivers for windows 10 for your notebook. If they don't then that would mean they don't support windows 10 on your model?
Still you can go to the individual hardware website and see if they have windows drivers. Windows 8.1 drivers configure for your notebook might work for you.
Otherwise just restore that windows 8.1 Image you saved right before upgrading to 10 for just in case.

Reaction score
Well, I dont think I will be downgrading back to Windows 8.1, since it took ages to setup everything. Just prefer if Microsoft up their game and sort out their OS for all the users. Thanks for the info though, I dont think my laptop supports Windows 10 in terms of drivers.

Reaction score
So I solve the issue of sleep being rest to 2 hours from never. I simply went into Advances setting and set the time go got to sleep at 5000 minutes
Jarez95, my CPU cycles are correct floating 400 to 3500 MHZ
Have you checked the Advanced setting in your power profile look into Processor Power Management settings here are mine.
2017-10-14_14-37-12.power options advanced.png

Reaction score
Well, I dont think I will be downgrading back to Windows 8.1, since it took ages to setup everything. Just prefer if Microsoft up their game and sort out their OS for all the users. Thanks for the info though, I dont think my laptop supports Windows 10 in terms of drivers.
Well if you notebook doesn't support windows 10 and many won't you'll have to find work arounds. With out working drivers for your old hardware windows 10 is just not going to work out for you. Your best bet us to get into the support forum where your notebook is supported and see what other that have your notebook are doing. Windows 10 is not supported on a lot of older equipment most have workarounds but you will have to find them. MS is not concerned with older equipment past it life cycle. If you have an Asus Gaming notebook I can point you in the right direction?

Reaction score
This is my settings, for many years this configuration has worked wonders for me, but now when I click ok and apply and then come back to it, I see that CPU is locked up at 100% across the board, as mentioned very undesirable on battery. My laptop is a K55VD.

Attachments

• proc_settings.PNG
    proc_settings.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,037
Reaction score
This is my settings, for many years this configuration has worked wonders for me, but now when I click ok and apply and then come back to it, I see that CPU is locked up at 100% across the board, as mentioned very undesirable on battery. My laptop is a K55VD.
Change you setting to match mine and see what happens.
Also you might want to check out the ROG Forum we have a sub forum for other than ROG Asus notebooks

Reaction score
You might check Intel site for the latest chipset info files for your cpu class, that might help.

Reaction score
Hey just tried your settings, still reverted back - all my drivers are updated to the latest versions and are all manufacturer supported, these upgrades may have been the issue however.

Reaction score
If you were working before the update, roll that update back. KB4041676, select and click uninstall

2017-10-14_15-01-18 uninstall updates.png

Reaction score
I think it might have happened when I upgraded my processor drivers, but after seeing this issue online experienced massively online - I think Microsoft should really step up and sort this out. If the update next week does not do it I will post in a Microsoft forum or contact them directly.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for the help, I think I have fixed the problem - it somehow seemed to stop messing about after a cleaning of registry courtesy of CCleaner and a restart. I also set the max clock frequency appropriately to 1200 MHz which is the lowest clockable frequency of my processor. It now seems to behave itself and my lap is not on fire anymore.

Jarez.

Reaction score
Jarez Thanks for the reply. 1 MHz seemed rather low to me, I was going to suggest try resetting to the default values. BTW laptops require maximum airflow for cooling, ideally they should be operated on a flat surface, not on a bed that restricts cooling airflow, overheating and shortens the life span of components.

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't quite used to the setting since it is new to Windows 10, also I forgot to add that changing the settings to "passive" made a difference as well, along with a couple of restarts and registry cleans. I cant put my finger on what the issue was, just more of brute force attempt.

It is now comfortable for me to use on my lap, and stays below 40/50 deg C rather than 70's eek.

Thanks everyone.

Ask a Question