SOLVED "Preparing Automatic Repair, W10, Crash"

Reaction score
Hello all, we're having a bit of trouble with windows 10, I'll set the scene first.

Installed Windows 10 today, Upgraded from W7
Working perfectly originally,
It said there was an error (malware, unlikely to have, very internet safe) and requested restart to fix it,
Restart occured,
Screen "Preparing Automatic Repair"
Screen "Diagnosing your computer"
Black Screen
Screen "Automatic Repair, Your PC did not start correctly"
Clicked First link "Restart" repeated the process to this point
Clicked Second link "Advanced Options"
->
Screen "Troubleshoot"
Clicked First Link "Reset This PC" -> "Keep Files"-> Error: "There Was a problem...No changes"

We also attempted the restore to a previous point within the Repair Menu but no previous point could be found.

Any and all advice would be helpful, many thanks for your time
If anymore information is required I can provide such.
A video showing an error similar to ours can be found Here:
-Elliot

Reaction score
We would like to Keep our personal files and would prefer to go back to windows 7.
Considering a factory reset via the PCs Bios/F11 but fear of losing personal files has lead us here

Reaction score
We would like to Keep our personal files and would prefer to go back to windows 7.

If I understand your post correctly, you are NOT able to login. Right ?
If yes, follow this........................
Turn off computer > turn power back on > do you have the sign in screen ?
If yes, at the sign in screen, bottom right, there are 3 icons. The one on the extreme right is the Power icon > left click at it will give you Restart option. Yes ?
If yes, press SHIFT key and HOLD it > click Restart
click Troubleshoot > click Advanced Options > is there a " Go back to previous build " option ?
If yes, click it > follow the prompts.

That should bring you back to Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

P.S. I apologize. I do not open videos in any forums. I am hopelessly old fashioned and stubborn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I understand your post correctly, you are NOT able to login. Right ?
If yes, follow this........................
Turn off computer > turn power back on > do you have the sign in screen ?
If yes, at the sign in screen, bottom right, there are 3 icons. The one on the extreme right is the Power icon > left click at it will give you Restart option. Yes ?
If yes, press SHIFT key and HOLD it > click Restart
click Troubleshoot > click Advanced Options > is there a " Go back to previous build " option ?
If yes, click it > follow the prompts.

That should bring you back to Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

P.S. I apologize. I do not open videos in any forums. I am hopelessly old fashioned and stubborn.

There unfortunately is no sign in screen, it goes straight to "Preparing Automatic Repair"

Reaction score
You said " Installed Windows 10 today, Upgraded from W7 . Working perfectly originally."
I assume that the install was also activated ?

(A) If yes, you can re-install Windows 10 by using the ISO and do an in-place upgrade install.
( If it was not activated, don't use this method ).

Use another computer and follow the steps below...............
1. Use this link to down load the Media Creation Download Tool. Make sure you choose the proper bit-version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the tool and select Create installation media for another PC.
That will start downloading the ISO file.

3. When the ISO is downloaded, burn it to a bootable DVD or USB of at least 4 GB.
I recommend Windows DVD/USB Download Tool. It's the easiest program to use. I use it exclusively.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

4. Go to the computer that does not work, go to the Bios and change the boot order to DVD or USB, depending which media you use.
To go to the Bios, you need to use one of the F keys. Usually it will be either F2 or F10, or F12, depending on the make of your computer. Consult your user guide for that info, or post back.
Turn off the power > turn power back on > pressing the F key until the Bios screen appears > use the arrow key to select Boot order > move the CD/ DVD or USB option to the top of the boot order list.

5. Insert the bootable media > restart the computer.

6. Reinstall should begin.

(B) If the installed Win 10 was never activated, you will have to re-install Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You said " Installed Windows 10 today, Upgraded from W7 . Working perfectly originally."
I assume that the install was also activated ?

(A) If yes, you can re-install Windows 10 by using the ISO and do an in-place upgrade install.
( If it was not activated, don't use this method ).

Use another computer and follow the steps below...............
1. Use this link to down load the Media Creation Download Tool. Make sure you choose the proper bit-version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the tool and select Create installation media for another PC.
That will start downloading the ISO file.

3. When the ISO is downloaded, burn it to a bootable DVD or USB of at least 4 GB.
I recommend Windows DVD/USB Download Tool. It's the easiest program to use. I use it exclusively.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

4. Go to the computer that does not work, go to the Bios and change the boot order to DVD or USB, depending which media you use.
To go to the Bios, you need to use one of the F keys. Usually it will be either F2 or F10, or F12, depending on the make of your computer. Consult your user guide for that info, or post back.
Turn off the power > turn power back on > pressing the F key until the Bios screen appears > use the arrow key to select Boot order > move the CD/ DVD or USB option to the top of the boot order list.

5. Insert the bootable media > restart the computer.

6. Reinstall should begin.

(B) If the installed Win 10 was never activated, you will have to re-install Windows 7.

As I have no interest in keeping windows 10, is there a way I can activate the files in Windows.Old using command prompt ?

Thank you for your reply as, you have understood the situation well, W10 was activated but I no longer want to use it, so I am primarily looking for a way to return to W7 without losing any data

Reaction score
Your trouble is ........that vicious "preparing automatic repair" cycle will not allow you to login.

If you don't want to reinstall Win 10, then you will have to reinstall win 7 IF you have the Win 7 installation disk(s).
If you don't have Win 7 Installation DVDs and your Win 7 copy is a Retail version, you can obtain a Win7 ISO from this site...............Please read what the link says FIRST.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

If your Win 7 copy is a OEM ( came pre-installed with your computer), I was told that the above link won't work for you because it will reject your product key. But I am not 100% sure of that. You can try and find out.

Ask a Question