SOLVED Print spooler keeps getting stuck

Reaction score
I just got a brand new computer in July and we started having printer issues. After weeks of HP, Dell, and Geek Squad support we gave up and just got a totally different brand computer. I set everything up today and it was all working smoothly until I had to start printing. The problem is the print jobs keep getting stuck in the print spooler. I have stopped and restarted it and it continues to happen.Please help I am frustrated with this. This should not be happening with a brand new computer and printer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
brand new computer in July and we started having printer issues
What were the old issues, were they the same as you are currently having?
After weeks of HP, Dell, and Geek Squad support we gave up and just got a totally different brand computer
That's certainly a novel way of handling printer issues.
I set everything up today and it was all working smoothly until I had to start printing. The problem is the print jobs keep getting stuck in the print spooler
Which apparently didn't work.
Assuming the printer issues are the same or similar.
Did you also replace the printer?
Can you share, with us, the exact specs on the printer you are currently using?
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, how it is connect to the computer (USB, Network (wireless or wired), old style parallel port, etc.).
When you restart the print spooler, do the print jobs in the queue...... disappear? print?? or remain stuck in the queue???

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,
The main issue I am having is the print jobs are getting stuck in the queue of any new printer we have tried. However, I can plug an older printer in and they work just fine. I have an HP Officejet 8740. It is hooked up via USB, the other printers we have are on the network or wireless. Right now every time I print something I have to go to the print doctor to clear it out of the queue and then restart the computer. This is getting a little tedious since I have a lot of printing to do.

Reaction score
Talked with Geek Squad again today. We figured out that there is a communication problem between the new HP USB printer drivers and windows 10. The computer was talking to the printer but the printer couldn't communicate back. That was causing the print jobs to get stuck in the queue. We now have it set up wireless and everything is working great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted out.
I know in some instances, one can go into the advanced properties of the printer driver and disable bi-directional communications and sometimes that will help with USB connected printers when they are experiencing those types of issues.

Ask a Question