Print spooler not working

Reaction score
When I try to use my printer on my Windows 10 PC, I get the message "The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." Print Spooler is not listed among the Windows services, and restarting the machine does not help. The actual print spooler files seem to be present, but the registry references are not. My anti-virus software declares the machine to be trouble-free.

I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling the drivers for my Brother MCF-J88DDW printer, but the installer/uninstaller won't work because of the print spooler issue.

Do I have any options besides reinstalling Windows?

Reaction score
Have a look here https://windowsreport.com/print-spooler-service-windows-10/
Please avoid clicking on any downloads on that page. Just read the article.
There are several suggestions including some information that may help with your registry problem.

Is it safe to attempt the registry edit suggested in that article? The other steps are either not viable because the print spooler service is not available, or did not help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't say specifically if it is safe or not.
I would only add the typical caveat whenever you're manipulating the registry.
1. Backup all your critical data.
2. Manually create a system restore point.
3. IF the key that you are editing is present. Back it up before performing the edit.

Be mindful that in some instances a registry edit has an immediate impact
AND
In just as many if not more instances the system will require a reboot for the registry edit to take effect.

Ask a Question