Printers install crashes my laptop

PJC

Reaction score
Greetings

having successfully upgraded a tosh laptop with Win 10 and finding and installing all unknown device drivers (2 of them) the machine worked well. I then turned my attention to install any of the 3 different printers I have, Brother, HP and Epsom. With each printer I get the same problem, regardless how I try to install each one, either with the driver package, using the win 10 printer install routine the machine crashes. I get a black screen and the laptop trys to reboot and crashes again. After the second crash the laptop resets itself and I have to re-install my apps and device drivers again. Try again to install any printer and the same routine happens all over again.
Very grateful if anyone can give me a clue on what I need to do.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe first thing.... check with Toshiba and see if there is a chipset driver available or any additional drivers that may have something to do with the printer interface (USB presumably), or possibly even a BIOS Update.

Second Unplug all printers, open control panel devices and printers, and remove any printers that may be there except the OS installed printers (MS Print to PDF, XPS writer, Send to One Note, etc.)
Use the programs and features applet in the control panel to remove any software package associated with Epson, Brother HP printers.
Reboot.

Now without connecting any printer(s) open devices and printers and from the top choose Add a printer, click the link that says "The printer that I want isn't listed".
Choose Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click next
On the Use an existing port: drop down choose "File" (Print to File)
Click next
Now click the Windows Update button and wait.
Give it whatever time it takes to come back with a repopulated list.
Choose your printer manufacturer from the left column and the actual printer from the right column.
Then just next, next, and ok your way out of there.

Does that procedure result in a crash?

PJC

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply.
I can confirm, BIOS is up to date. The latest Toshiba chip set is up to date as is all the device drivers.

I followed the procedure as you have listed and now the Laptop is doing yet another reset after crashing out.
So regretfully yes, that procedure did result in a crash.
I cant understand why this only happens with printers. Such is life.

Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW.... now I'm stumped.
I thought we could back door it by using print to file as a port and eliminate any potential network or USB connectivity issues.
AND I don't believe I've ever seen a print spooler issue take a Windows machine completely down (crash to reset) like that, so it's probably not a spooler issue.
AND if you used one of the drivers from the Windows Update list, then it's not a kernel mode driver issue.
The question then becomes...... what the hell is it?
Third party software?
Have you tried adding a printer using the same technique I described above but in Safe Mode or perhaps Safe Mode with Networking?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on a Toshiba laptop, although I haven't tried as many ways of installing a printer as the OP. I just have Windows search for printers and it will crash and then not be able to restart. I either have to reset Windows or use Acronis to restore the computer. After a reset there is basically no software installed that might interfere, and nothing is connected to the laptop at all other than a power cord. Not a computer I use much so I didn't really notice the issue until after it was too late to restore Windows 8.

PJC

Reaction score
Hi Goodspike
I feel for you as I have done everything suggested and still have a Windows 10 computer that looks like it will never print. So I have reservations about putting win 10 on my other systems.
It seems that this is a common problem as I have spoken with other people with the same challenge and we are all stumped.
So for me it is a thumbs down for win 10 and my current win 10 laptop may be converted to Linux.
Regards

Reaction score
Hi Goodspike
. . .It seems that this is a common problem as I have spoken with other people with the same challenge and we are all stumped.
So for me it is a thumbs down for win 10 and my current win 10 laptop may be converted to Linux.
Regards

I have four computers running Windows 10 and problems with two of them, and both the problem have required some serious work to get them working right again. On the other computer it was a problem where Edge, the Action Center, the new Menu and one other thing I can't recall all quit working (they're based on the same technology apparently). That too is a common problem, but was at least fixed with a system restore to before the problem started (there are about 3 other fixes that work for some people, but didn't work for me). Then I have a fifth machine it wouldn't install on, and now I'm glad. I'm going to look for a full Windows 8 backup for this machine to take it back.

I think Windows 10 has a lot of issues. I like the GUI, but it's way too unstable. Definitely a step back for Microsoft, but you don't hear about the issues because Windows 10 is the darling of the tech press.

PJC

Reaction score
Yes I am totally onside with you on this.
I had lots of advice on this as you can see some of above but each time I try anything todo with printers, down it goes and a full OS reset and installation. So with no 3rd party or other software installed and nothing connected less for power it is an Win 10 problem. Fortunatlely all this happened on the first laptop I tried to install upon saving me disasters on my other computers.
However I got a call from my Daughter and surprise she had the same problem when trying to install Win 10 but I managed to get her system back to Win 8.1.
Come on Microsoft, pull your finger out and get this OS stable

Reaction score
Hi, it's 14 March 2017 and looks like it's still happening. Went to settings, I hit the "add a printer or scanner". Same outcome with a BSOD repeatedly. "Add a printer" in devices and printers does the same. My system is an ACER Laptop Nitro VN7

Ask a Question