Problem between Security Essentials and Defender

Reaction score
Upgraded two Win 7 machines to Win 10. One kept Security Essentials and turned off Defender. Can't uninstall Sec Essentials or turn on Defender.

Reaction score
......One kept Security Essentials and turned off Defender.......

I am sorry, but that is not possible.
In Windows 10, as it is in Windows 8/8.1, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender have been merged into one. It is called Windows Defender.
You cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials in Win8/8.1 or Windows 10.

Please go to Programs and Features, see if Microsoft Security Essentials is on the list.
It should not be on the list if you have Windows 10.

Reaction score
......One kept Security Essentials and turned off Defender.......

I am sorry, but that is not possible.
In Windows 10, as it is in Windows 8/8.1, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender have been merged into one. It is called Windows Defender.
You cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials in Win8/8.1 or Windows 10.

Please go to Programs and Features, see if Microsoft Security Essentials is on the list.
It should not be on the list if you have Windows 10.

Reaction score
I'm well aware that Microsoft says you can't install Sec Essentials in Win 10. The fact is, I didn't install it. It somehow carried over during the upgrade from Win 7. Yes, Sec Essentials is in the list of Programs and Features. My first effort was to uninstall it but when I attempt that it says "You cannot install Security Essentials----" Every time the machine boots a window comes up that says Defender is turned off--but it won't allow me to turn it on, of course, because Essentials is there.

Reaction score
Give this a try.....
Download and install Revo Uninstaller.
Select the Freeware for download.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

See if you can use it to uninstall MS Security Essentials from Programs and Features.
As in Alice in Wonderland this "gets curiouser and curiouser". I downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller but when it shows the list of installed programs Security Essentials isn't there! It is there in the standard Programs and Features. Strangely enough Security Essentials appears to be operating normally. It updates itself, scans, etc. Of course I would much rather have Defender operating like it is supposed to.

Reaction score
By the way, CCleaner has an uninstaller and Security Essentials shows up there. However, it also says "you don't need to install Security Essentials when you try to uninstall.

Ask a Question