SOLVED Problem starting up Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, how are you? A couple of days ago, my PC (with Windows 10) won't start up. When I turned off the PC, the day before the problems started, it had to update, so I just press the "update and turn off" option. The error code that gives me is the 0xc000021a. Every time loads the repair mode but can't fix it by itself. From the repair mode also, I try to execute the sfc /scannow mode, but says to me "Windows resources protection can't perform the requested operation" (or something like that, my Windows is in spanish and I have to translate it xD). Also, I've tried to restore the system to an old restoration point, and can't too. Neither I can enter the safe mode, although I press repeatedly the F5 or F8. When I've tried to fix the problems from my USB flash drive that contains the W10 installation files, from the repair mode, in the command line, execute scannow and tells me that there's a pending operation and needs to be restart, although I've restarted it a lot of times. Also, I've tried to revert the changes of a bad updates, with same poor results. I boot into Hiren's Boot's Mini Windows XP, ran chkdsk to the hard drive, fix some little errors but it is ok. Also checked with Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, which showed that the HDD was in a perfect status. Any ideas to fix the boot sector and keep my install just how it was? I don't want to format my drive, but I know that's the easier solution.

My specs are:
Athlon X2 250
MSI 990-GA55
8GB RAM DDR3 1866
Nvidia GT 430
WD 500GB (the W10 drive)
Samsung 1TB

Thank you for reading.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

From your post I assume at some point during the Startup Repair you find yourself at the blue screen stating:

Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC

On that screen there are two options to click:
  • Shutdown
  • Advanced Options

Click Advanced Options, then on the next screen click on Troubleshoot
  • Now click on Advanced Options
  • Now click on Command Prompt

It's been a while since I've looked at this so you if your command prompt does not open with the prompt:
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32>

this means you are not in Administrative Mode and you need to be in that mode. So if this is the case we can get to an elevated command prompt (i.e. Administrative mode) by doing the following:
  • Type powershell then hit your ENTER key
  • After a few seconds a new prompt appears. At this prompt type:
    • Start-Process cmd -Verb RunAs and hit ENTER key
  • Click Yes on the pop up that appears and a Administrator: Command Prompt window will open

At this point you can now enter a command which will revert any pending Updates. Occasionally a windows update can cause the scenario you are speaking of and this command will allow a clean boot of the PC without removing files etcetera.

So at the Administrator: Command Prompt C:\WINDOWS\system32> type the following and hit ENTER KEY
  • dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
When that has finished doing its task, try rebooting the PC and hopefully you'll be then able to get to Login, and do some basic checks of your computer such as testing the StartUp programs are not causing this issue.

You can do that by:
  • Press WinKey + R to open Run window
  • Type msconfig and click OK or press ENTER key
  • Click Services tab
  • Check "Hide All Microsoft Servives"
  • Click Disable All button
  • Click StartUp tab
  • Click Open Task manager link
  • Click on items in list then click Disable button
  • Click OK
  • Restart PC.
If you do not run into any issues then you'll know something in the StartUp list is what is causing the troubles and you can simply repeat steps above but click an item you think is OK and then Enable button, then restart PC to test it is OK. Trial and elimination will eventually identify the program that is causing troubles which once discovered may be resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling at some point.

Note: You only need to do this StartUp test if the problem is not related to a corrupt Windows Update.

OK, well see how you go and remember to post an update if issue continues.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

When trying to revert, it came up with this: "Error: 0x800f082f
An error ocurred reverting the pending actions from the image.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\logs\DISM\dism.log"

This happens either way on the recovery mode of my W10 install or of a usb boot for W10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you make your way back into a Command Prompt, then at the prompt type the following and press Enter:
  • C:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log
  • Note: Change C: to the drive your windows is installed on if necessary.

If that fails in your command prompt do the following:
  • Type powershell then press Enter Key
  • Type C:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log then press Enter key
  • Note: Change your C: to the drive your windows is installed on if necessary

When the log displays please note information and post to forum so that I or someone else can see the log and further assess your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply. I've uploaded the file with the log info.
Thank you.

Attachments

• dism.txt
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,707
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. But after 4 days I gave up. I need my PC working so I'm going to restablish Windows. And if that doesn't work, will format and do a clean install. Thank you so much for your replies.

Please, any mod will be kind enough to close this thread? Thank you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at your DISM.log it appears part of the problem was insufficient space in the Scratch directory.

This is used to store temporary files for the update (generally the larger update files). That requires a fair amount of space allocated (up to 1GB).

When running DISM you can include the /scratch flag to point to the drive to be used for a temporary directory. This can be an external drive if necessary.

For detailed information on the use of this flag see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825079.aspx

If you prefer to do a clean install that is fine.

Hope one way or the other you can get a resolution to your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Your posts were really helpful. In the end, I succesfully restablished it, and when it started, I was able to recover the information from my Firefox install (one of the things I desired the most). In the end, I was able to recover everything, it's just that I was so angry at W10. It worked like a charm since the day I installed it (6 months ago), including the updates, until that f**king update 4 days before. Thread solved. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Hello, i need help please, i am in the same situation than RaikkoX, the same error, i upload the file with te log info to see if someone can see the log and further assess my issue. thank you very much!!

Attachments

• dism.txt
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,108

Ask a Question