SOLVED Problem Updating Windows Insider - MAJOR IMPENDING LOCKOUT

Reaction score
Today, I started getting messages that my build 14342 is out of date and will soon stop working.

Of course, I got on the case with Windows update. I found that quite a number of auto updates had failed, and decided it was due to my using a metered connection setup (even though I am not metered, this was to stop stuff going on in the background and potentially slowing things down) - so I switched that off and had another go. Unsuccessful. Error 0x8020000f all updates.

After googling around, I tried
1) reinstalling build 14342, with updates. This reinstalled and remained at 14342, updates not possible.
2) turned off all AV (defender and Malwarebytes)
3) sfc /scannow (found and fixed some corruptions, but no effect on this)
4) ran the troubleshooter for Updater, reports all is well.
5) tried reinstalling Windows 10 (not insider) but this says it cannot do a reset keeping apps and data, since a different build is detected.

This is an unusual situation, since I loaded Insider in good faith, but unless I can solve this, I will not be able to run my computer soon. Yes, I can reinstall windows, but it means reinstalling all my apps and save and restore of all my personal files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since your post concerns the Insider Program, I've moved it to the Insider sub-forum.
I've had this happen to me a couple times on various builds, where the normal process of Windows Update would not detect the next Preview Build and kept returning with Your system is up to date.
Fortunately for me, I've always had two seperate instances of the insider preview running so IF one failed in that manner, I was always able to generate my own ISO from the install.esd on the other to facilitate a manual update on the problem machine.
I have (en_windows_10_pro_14390_x64_dvd.iso) which is the latest preview build for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, which....
IF that is something you can use, I'd be willing to put it up on my Gdrive and make it available to you, if it'll help in any way, let me know.
I would strongly suggest that you take whatever steps necessary, before proceeding in any fashion to secure your critical data, including creating a disk image of your current installation
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

You need only to look here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...&y=0#/insider/insider_wintp-insiderplat_pc//1
To realize you are not alone and this has been happening for quite some time across multiple insider preview builds/

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Just an hour ago, I found that my turn-off of metered connection had not happened and all the rest of my efforts were really not needed. The fact that so many others have problems rather stopped me from seeing what was my first thought. I have no idea as to why my turning it off did not 'take' the first time.

I am now updated properly, but still feel MS are rather taking liberties - I started with a legal W7Pro licence and accepted the free upgrade to W10, then I was invited to the Insider Preview. As a result of a problem which I might not have been able to resolve, I could have found myself without a bootable computer. This is so high-handed as to be almost unbelievable. I was quite worried about this - I am supposed to be a professional, I can't help thinking of those who are more naïve users.

Thanks for the offer of the ISO for the latest preview build.

Ask a Question