SOLVED Problem with CPU

Reaction score
Hi.

When I started to install W10 I got the messages 'The CPU is not supported'. Is that correct, can't it be installed on an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8 Ghz?

The computer are HP EliteBook 8530w, 4 Gb DDR2 memory.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Palron.

You had a close call. Your elderly laptop is designed for Windows Vista. Even if you do manage to upgrade to 7 or 8, and then upgrade to 10, it probably won't run well on an eight year old machine.

Granted, you have yourself a well-built powerhouse. But technology has advanced enough that a modern operating system will have difficulty running well on your hardware.

Does it still run well? Then I advise you hot to rock the boat.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
'The CPU is not supported'. Is that correct
I've done some searching and I can't find anything specific for that particular Penryn core based system with respect to Windows 10.
There are some references to specific requirements regarding upgrading that may apply
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
Which has been around since Windows 8
You may be able to enable the features required in the BIOS or the system may require a BIOS update in order to do so
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3781730&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4061

I assume you are currently running Windows 7?
As Vince has said... you may want to leave well enough alone.
I'm not sure there would actually be any physical / performance benefit from an upgrade to Windows 10 (although generally it does seem to do a bit better on older hardware), so.....
Other than just the perk of having the latest operating system, I don't see a real upside.

Reaction score
Thank you both of you.

Yes I am on W7 Pro and are happy with that today. I think I leave it there:)

Have a nice day

Paal R
Norway

Ask a Question