Problem with Long File Name/path error after updating to Win10

Reaction score
Since updating a fully working Win7 to Win 10 a few days ago, I'm having issues with an existing and operational file structure.

It seems that Win10 is preventing the modification of existing, or the naming of new files, even when their length is the same as others already within the same folder. This didn't occur while running the same folder structure under Win7, but appears to have been brought about by the upgrade to Win10.

Searching on the web indicates that others have seen the same, or similar, problem and it has occurred even with access to files on servers. So it would appear to be an urgent and real issue.

I'm running build 1511 and have had no updates to that since installation.

Has anyone else here seen this and, in particular, managed to resolve it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

You probably need to enable NTFS LongPaths.

If you are using Windows 10 Professional you can do that via the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

For Home users and those not bothered using their Group Policy Editor you can also just add a single registry value to the Windows Registry to achieve same result:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC dialog pops up click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window that opens type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Policies" /v LongPathsEnabled /t reg_dword /d 00000001

Press Enter key to execute command.

Close the command window and any other programs, then restart computer for change to take affect.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks to all the respondents on this. I did know of 'Long Path Tool' utility, but was avoiding use of third-party solutions if possible. My version of Win10 Pro (1511), didn't offer the standard policy or registry settings changes, which most Win10 solutions mention for this issue. So neither of those solutions could be easily put into place.

Since receiving the various Win10 recent updates, the version is now 1607 Build 14393.351 and on checking out the Policies again, 'NTFS Long Paths' still does not appear in the NTFS folder choices. But, in the containing folder 'File System', there is an option to 'Enable Win32 long paths'. So, for now, I've enabled that to see if it creates any advantage, or not.

Having said that, during these various updates, I've not suffered any repeat of the original issue yet. But that might be because I've not attempted any backups or copy-transfers of the files that caused problems before. Now I can attempt that to see if any change has occurred. When that has been tried, I may be able to post more on the subject.

Reaction score
Haven't had a repeat of this problem as yet, since persevering with Win10 and receiving the 1607 build and updates. Guess that the original issue derived from the 1511 build, or the fact that the Win10 installation was carried out as an update to Win7, rather than a clean install.

Ask a Question