Problem with missing folders

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone have any ideas. I am trialing W10 Pro on two separate desktop PCs. Both are a similar setup. I have W7 Pro on both PCs on small SSDs which are in caddies so they are easily removable. They each have their own separate licence. Data is stored on separate hard drives (E in each case) for safety and because the SSDs are small capacity. My Documents, My music etc are on the E drive and W7 points to that drive. All works fine.
I installed on two other small SSDs other instances of W7 Pro again with their own licences (I have 4 separate licences). I have upgraded both of these to W10 through the normal upgrade process. I had a problem with the upgrade on one of the two SSDs - II'll call that W10a. The other upgraded without a problem apart from the one the subject of this post - I'll call that W10b.
Because of the upgrade problems on W10a which happened after activation, I did a clean install of W10 from a Windows 10 iso and all was well.
I am trialling both W10a and W10b by removing the W7 SSds from their caddies and inserting the W10 SSDs in their place. Everything appears to be working fine on both Pc's when booted into W10 apart from one thing on W10b. I will explain the problem with an example. When booted up in W7 on both PCs let us say I create a new folder in My Documents or My Music and call the new folder "X". If I then shut down W7, replace the SSDs with the W10 SSDs and boot up into W10, Windows 10a sees the new created folder "X" in My Documents or my Music but W10b does not see the new folder"X".
BUT I create the new folder "X" when booted up in W10a or W10b, both W7 OS's see the newly created folder "X". Anyone got any ideas. As the hardware of both PCs are pretty similar, the only difference I am aware of is that the clean install of W10 sees the new folder X but the upgrade of W10 does not see it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Paul Langley

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone have any ideas. I am trialing W10 Pro on two separate desktop PCs. Both are a similar setup. I have W7 Pro on both PCs on small SSDs which are in caddies so they are easily removable. They each have their own separate licence. Data is stored on separate hard drives (E in each case) for safety and because the SSDs are small capacity. My Documents, My music etc are on the E drive and W7 points to that drive. All works fine.
I installed on two other small SSDs other instances of W7 Pro again with their own licences (I have 4 separate licences). I have upgraded both of these to W10 through the normal upgrade process. I had a problem with the upgrade on one of the two SSDs - II'll call that W10a. The other upgraded without a problem apart from the one the subject of this post - I'll call that W10b.
Because of the upgrade problems on W10a which happened after activation, I did a clean install of W10 from a Windows 10 iso and all was well.
I am trialling both W10a and W10b by removing the W7 SSds from their caddies and inserting the W10 SSDs in their place. Everything appears to be working fine on both Pc's when booted into W10 apart from one thing on W10b. I will explain the problem with an example. When booted up in W7 on both PCs let us say I create a new folder in My Documents or My Music and call the new folder "X". If I then shut down W7, replace the SSDs with the W10 SSDs and boot up into W10, Windows 10a sees the new created folder "X" in My Documents or my Music but W10b does not see the new folder"X".
BUT if I create the new folder "X" in My Documents or My Music when booted up in W10a or W10b, both W7 OS's see the newly created folder "X". Anyone got any ideas. As the hardware of both PCs are pretty similar, the only difference I am aware of is that the clean install of W10 sees the new folder X but the upgrade of W10 does not see it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Paul Langley

Ask a Question