Problem with processor specs

Reaction score
Well, trying to find out if I have been screwed by Amazon and not being that genned up on the more advanced stuff on computers, maybe someone could oblige.

Bought Laptop, an Asus 17.3 inch Lap with Win 10 Pro 64 bit. But lately been giving me a load of trouble, freezing,bad USB port, etc (made another post on that prob recently)

Just done a partial Win reinstall but prob persists. So out of interest looked at Amazon customer reviews if others had the prob and one item caught my eye re. another matter. One guy complained he received an item which did not have the specs advertised by seller on Amazon.

Decided to look at Lap specs and from what I can gather this may have happened to me as well.

When looking on Amazon, Laptop was advertised as Notebook Intel Pentium N4200 Quad Core 4x2.50 GHz

But looking at Laptop System it came up as this:
Pentium (R) CPU N2400 @ 1.10Ghz 1.10Ghz

(Full Specs below)

Wrote it down exactly as it appeared on system, so dont know why it has @ sign and 1.10 GHz written twice?

But to my novice eye that does like its a much lower spec, although same N4200 Processor.
Possible lower specs and computer freeze etc sure dont inspire much confidence in the seller! Some might even call it fraud!
So be grateful if anyone more competent can advise?

Have I been sold a dud with lower specs ?
-------------------
Specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N4200 @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8055 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (153 GB Free); H: 0 GB (0 GB Free); L: 931 GB (437 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X751NA
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've got the N4200 CPU that was advertised (according to the copy and paste at the bottom) - the reason it shows the CPU speed @1.1Ghz is that it can automatically drop the speed to save power. You can disable this feature if you'd like, but it's actually a really handy thing to have - as soon as more power is required, it'll jump right back up to 2.5Ghz. My laptop does the same.

Reaction score
ahh, as they say, one lives and learns :)

Thanks for info.....Good thing you told me that, before I sent of furious mails to seller complaining of fraud!
Yep, always best to check ones facts, before shooting ones mouth off.
Would have looked a right plonker.

But reckon thing still got to go back with dodgy loose USB port and constant freezing, which Win reinstall did not solved. Well was not a full reinstall, did the partial one where files are kept, but system restored.
But with USB port so loose reckon going to cause more probs in future, at times the USB 3 port does not recognise external HDD unless you pull out plug and reinsert once or twice, which dont bode well for future.
So think best it goes back, as its still under guarantee until Oct.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, trying to find out if I have been screwed by Amazon and not being that genned up on the more advanced stuff on computers, maybe someone could oblige.
When buying through Amazon, and some other online sellers, do make note of the firm/store that is actually doing the shipping. Amazon is doing the fulfillment of some the orders. I recently bought a Notebook from TigerDirectB2B that came through a bit better than advertised, 256GB SSD instead of 240GB and 1.9GHz instead of 1.6GHz. Might get the free SPECCY from Piriform.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes was aware of that, bought mine through a firm called Shinobee and some people on Amazon had issues with them, so dont think will buy from them again although they did give correct info after all---But with USB3 port being loose already, only few months down the line and problems with freezing,etc still get impression this thing is a bit iffy altogether.

Reaction score
Was it a New product or Renewed/Refurbished? Did it come with a warranty such as 90-day, 6-month, 1-year, etc.? If so and still in warranty get ahold of Amazon about it. What I got was Renewed [probably off-lease] with a 1-year warranty.

Reaction score
Yeah good question,if I recall was listed as new, to be sure looked up original order on Amazon, but although that identical model is listed,its now sold by other supplier....but refurbished from that supplier, classed as "Used but as new". But actually more expensive than the one I bought.

Well you got to be so careful these days, its all a murky business and once you bought something its a load of hassle if things go wrong, depends who you deal with,some are good others don't give a a crap and you're lumbered.

Although to be fair Amazon has always been pretty good with replacing items or money back,so there is hope. Another company Chuwi also provided good service, although the Mini Comp they sent died after a week, they repayed the money quickly...and did not even have to send the faulty item back. In that particular case was living in Dominican Republic and item was sent from Amazon in US via Dominican courier service. Explained to Chuwi would cost a fortune to send it back, so they said OK forget it.

Re original supplier Shinobee, Amazon stated- "The Asus device was technically altered by Shinobee,Ltd e.g. we deliver it with Win10 installed....but guess all that means they installed Win 10 Prof.

Still had the original delivery note though, was in German, but roughly translated " Legal guarantee period for new item, 2 years + standard repair" ....whatever that means .
But looks hopefully its a 2 year cover.

Last edited:

Ask a Question