Problem with temporary profile -- again

Reaction score
Hi,

So I believe I've asked this question before but phrased differently, so it may have been difficult to understand.

So, I've been having temporary profile errors for a long time now (since May) and it stems from the fact that I may have a corrupted user profile. So, I went into Registry Editor and deleted the .bak key, and my files are still nowhere to be found. If there is a way to restore the .bak key, please let me know as the files are very important to me. I also do not have the liberty to use System Restore as every single restore point has the .bak key deleted.

Also, if I successfully restore the .bak key, and my user profile, will it restore my audio? I accidentally deleted my audio drivers, and I've had significant difficulty restoring it as the drivers won't seem to download.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So, I've been having temporary profile errors for a long time now (since May) and it stems from the fact that I may have a corrupted user profile. So, I went into Registry Editor and deleted the .bak key, and my files are still nowhere to be found.
Not sure why you would have deleted the .bak key from your profile list as that is generally the key you want to rescue not delete, as described here
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-a-windows-profile-in-the-registry
All actions with respect to the Windows Registry should include a disclaimer
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so
IF you exported the key and or performed a registry backup then restoring the key should be possible, otherwise the deletion is likely permanent.

Editing the registry should not have resulted in
my files are still nowhere to be found.
Your "files" should still be present in
C:\Users\YourUserName (where YourUserName if the user name containing your old profile folders and their respective contents).
AND should include

Capture.PNG

You should be able to create a new user and then copy the contents from the corrupt user profile folders into the new user profile you created.

Reaction score
Yes, thank you. My recollection of how I got here is quite fuzzy, but this is the exact video I took to get to this point.

I followed every aspect to the video down to the T. If you know where I could go from here, I would appreciate it. If not, then I'd like to start over with my computer by installing my audio drivers. I accidentally deleted them as well and I have been having difficulty reinstalling them.

EDIT: I went to C:\Users\My(Correct)Username, and I see everything, but when I double-click on any one of the folders, such as Documents, it reads "This folder is empty."

Not to mention the fact that when I scroll over to the left side to select "this PC", under the subsection "devices and drives", my old C: drive has gone missing and has been replaced with OS (C: ), which is not the correct drive.

Last edited:

Ask a Question