Problem with update KB4034674

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A day ago i did a fresh install of Windows 10 (Pro) on an ssd. I let it do all the updates it gave me without much trouble but on the cumulative update KB4034674 there is some trouble. It does the installation, i press the restart button and at 19% it writes "Restarting". The pc restarts once, then again at 19% it restarts one more time and the last time it says the update failed restoring settings and it just boots into windows and i have to do the update again. It has failed about 10 times now. Things i have tried:
1) Deleting the Software Distribution contents (more than one time)
2) Disabling antivirus
3) Troubleshooting the WU
4)Running a script from Microsoft that is supposed to reset any settings to the registry about WU.
5)Downloading the update manually from the catalog and installing it.

Nothing seems to be fixing the issue. Every time it restarts at 19%. Does anyone have any ideas about the fix? Is there any way for me to skip this update?
Capture.PNG Thanks for your time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Looks like you've done everything that I would typically do to work around the issue you are having.
I think now, that I would consider using Microsoft's Show / Hide to simply hide the problem update for 30 days and see if you have any better luck with the next cumulative update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

That should give you a 30 day reprieve and prevent the continued failed attempts at installing the update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Error has nothing to do with SSD.
It's downloaded but just won't complete installation.

It's probably a driver incompatibility issue. Laptops are particularly susceptible. Usually the wifi or wired LAN. Disable them to see if the install completes.

Reaction score
Problem with update KB4034674 Fixed.... I tried everything to fix this update it tried to install about 15 times always fail and I tried all the fixes. I am on windows 10 1703 64bt. The fix is easy go and check for updates it will show all the fails. you have to click update history at the bottom it says Do you have a question and below that it says Get help..Click this It opens a page to Microsoft it is east to follow, in the box tell them that update ********** failed a number of times.. they will ask for you to contact them (go for text not phone) they will ask can they take control say yes and follow instructions ( IT IS EASY AND WORKS GREAT) takes about an hour or more to do all the work and there is no waiting time at the start.... Let me know if anyone has tried it GOOD FIX.
Ps They will fix other things when they are at it.

Reaction score
Problem with update KB4034674 Fixed.... I tried everything to fix this update it tried to install about 15 times always fail and I tried all the fixes. I am on windows 10 1703 64bt. The fix is easy go and check for updates it will show all the fails. you have to click update history at the bottom it says Do you have a question and below that it says Get help..Click this It opens a page to Microsoft it is east to follow, in the box tell them that update ********** failed a number of times.. they will ask for you to contact them (go for text not phone) they will ask can they take control say yes and follow instructions ( IT IS EASY AND WORKS GREAT) takes about an hour or more to do all the work and there is no waiting time at the start.... Let me know if anyone has tried it GOOD FIX.
Ps They will fix other things when they are at it.

Do not ignore this even if you are on an older version of windows 10 I am now on 1703 thanks to Microsoft engineer. I tried manual download, clean install, restore to factory settings, and lots more without success for 3 days I spent all day at it. Do not hide it or ignore it let Microsoft fix it as I said above, after all it is their problem. I now have a good fast laptop.

Ask a Question