Problem with USB eject icon

Reaction score
On windows 10 (10240 build with all updated), lately I have a problem with the "eject usb" icon in taskbar, when I have a External HDD or USB in my PC (any USB 2.0 or 3.0 port) and then I do click in "safely remove hardware" in the eject icon, I don't get notification or sound, directly the icon becomes unresponsive and the usb disappears from "my computer", as if I had removed the USB directly of USB port. If I have 2 USB differents connected, If I eject the first with the icon, then I can't click again in the icon for eject the second, the icon is there but unresponsive while still I have connected the second USB.

However from "my computer" in "right click in the USB drive and then clicking eject" works good with the notification and sound, and the USB drive remains transparent until I remove the USB from port. But from the icon doesn't work and I like more use the icon for quickness, and I've asked a friends who have also windows 10 and this problem doesn't occur to them, and I haven't this problem when install the windows 10 some days ago.

Anyone know any fix? maybe is a problem of any windows update, or register's entry?

Thanks.

PS: I have a asus maximus hero vi with the last MME and chipset drivers for windows10 installed.
PS2: I tried start the service bluetooth but it dont work.

Reaction score
I've noticed similar issues when disconnecting USB drives. Win10 at times seems unresponsive and at other times, really, really slow to respond. The disconnect icon will disappear from the task bar and the activity light (if there is one) on the USB drive goes out... then nothing. The drive isn't visible in Explorer any more, so all I can do is assume that the disconnect has taken place and it's safe to remove it. A minute or so later, I get the message that it's safe to remove the drive.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any fixes.

Reaction score
I've noticed similar issues when disconnecting USB drives. Win10 at times seems unresponsive and at other times, really, really slow to respond. The disconnect icon will disappear from the task bar and the activity light (if there is one) on the USB drive goes out... then nothing. The drive isn't visible in Explorer any more, so all I can do is assume that the disconnect has taken place and it's safe to remove it. A minute or so later, I get the message that it's safe to remove the drive.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any fixes.
Thanks, at least it's a common problem, I guess that we have to wait until microsoft fix it with windows updates.

Reaction score
I've just started to experience the same issue, which for the life of me I cannot understand why. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? One thing I've figured out is it's not hardware related. It seems to be tied to your user profile. If I login under a different account on the same PC, the Safely Remove Hardware feature works correctly.

Reaction score
I've found the fix for my particular issue with the Safely Remove Hardware Icon not responding correctly. The fix is relatively simple and the clue came when I looked at how the icon responded when logged on as another user. I noticed that when you click to remove hardware, you would normally get a message informing you whether the device was safe to remove or not. If the device was not safe to remove, the message is generated from a different service within the operating system, than the one which informs you the device is safe to remove. So when I was logged in normally, I'd get the can't remove message, but not the can remove message whcih is where the problems lay.

Solution, from the action center, choose System>Notification & actions then enable Show app notifications. That's it. Hope it works for others.

Reaction score
Tried nsd3 solution and it was already checked. But I did solve it by clicking the start menu after I had clicked the usb to eject. Have done this a few times and it works perfectly.

Ask a Question