SOLVED Problems linking Nexus 7 to PC with Windows 10

Reaction score
I want to transfer files - documents and pictures - from my Nexus 7 2 to my PC. When I connected the two the first time after installing Windows 10, the computer seemed to take ages transferring material from the Nexus to the PC, created a folder called Nexus 7 in 'This PC' and then said the folder was empty. It does not see the tablet as a separate drive. Fortunately the material is still on the Nexus, but I want to work on it in my PC. However many times I switch on and off, disconnect etc, the same thing happens, except for the apparent transfer of material. The PC is recognising it as a multi-media device and an empty one at that. When I disconnect, the 'new folder' disappears but reappears when I connect it again. Non-techy responses please!

Reaction score
I was able to connect to my Nexus 7 as an FTP file server on my home network. There are several steps, but hopefully I can explain them well.

First, you need a file explorer program on your Nexus 7. The one I use is the free "ES File Explorer File Manager." It includes a utility for making the tablet an FTP server.

Once ES File Explorer is installed, turn on the tablet's WiFi to connect to your network. Open the ES File Explorer's main menu, expand the 'Network' group, and tap 'Remote Manager.' You should see a screen that shows the tablet's FTP address like this:
ftp://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx

From this same screen, activate the FTP function by tapping the "Turn on" button. (To get to this function more quickly in the future, tap the little 'Settings' icon at the bottom and click the "Create shortcut" option on the next screen. This will place a shortcut on your home screen.)

Now you have to create a new network place on your PC. Open "This PC" to show your Folders, Devices & drives, and Network locations. If you don't see a Network locations group, it's okay because we have to add at least one for it to show up.

Right-click in the window's blank space and select "Add a network location." Click NEXT, select "Choose a custom network location", and under "Internet or network address" type the FTP address you saw on your tablet, i.e. "ftp://xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx" (Without the quotes.)

Click NEXT, check the box for "Log on anonymously", click NEXT, and give the link a friendly name like "Nexus 7" and click NEXT. When you click FINISH, a file explorer window should appear showing the file structure of your Nexus 7.

Reaction score
Or there's a much simpler method than my previous post. (Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.) My Nexus 7 is running Lollipop (5.1.1) and it can connect to my Windows 10 PC as a data storage device via the USB cable by making the following settings on the tablet:

On the tablet's 'Settings' page, under the 'Device' group, click "Storage." On the next screen click the 3 little dots in the upper right corner & tap on "USB computer connection." Check the box for "Media device (MTP)."

Now, when you connect the tablet to the PC via USB, you should get a familiar popup asking what you want to do. Select "Open device to view files."

Reaction score
Thank you. The second is certainly more appealing to this non techy person! Unfortunately, I suppose because my Nexus is running version 6.0, it doesn't follow though. When I go to device, I can go to 'Storage and USB', and all the 3 little dots offer me is 'Help and Feedback'. That offers me 'Copy files to a computer', that offers me 'transfer files using a USB cable' which then tells me the same as you have given, about having MTP ticked. But I have no idea where to find this option!
Also, it says to check that the USB cable works, but it worked perfectly with Windows 7. On the Computer, Settings, Devices, the computer does see the Nexus 7, but as I say above, it identifies it as part of 'This PC' in File Explorer, and says it's empty of files.
Any further avoce would be welcome. I see hat I have Phone Companion/Android/ on my desktop, and it looks as

Reaction score
My last para two posts ago went odd. What I wanted to say was that I see I have found Phone Companion/Android/... on my desktop, and it looks as if that MIGHT solve the problem, if I sign up for a Microsoft account, which I have resisted hitherto. (Or have I done so, in signing up for this forum?!!) What do you think?

Reaction score
I have just dared return to this problem. I suspect there may have been an update on both Nexus and Windows 10 meantime, but somehow the problem is solved. The sequence is: Storage and USB/three little dots top r h corner/Help and feedback/Copy files to computer/Transfer files using USB cable/Windows Transfer/then follow the instructions. Many, many thanks Wegmand for setting me on the right path!

Reaction score
Companion/Android/... on my desktop, and it looks as if that MIGHT solve the problem, if I sign up for a Microsoft account, which I have resisted hitherto. (Or have I done so, in signing up for this forum?!!)
This forum is not linked to Microsoft.

Reaction score
I have just dared return to this problem. I suspect there may have been an update on both Nexus and Windows 10 meantime, but somehow the problem is solved. The sequence is: Storage and USB/three little dots top r h corner/Help and feedback/Copy files to computer/Transfer files using USB cable/Windows Transfer/then follow the instructions. Many, many thanks Wegmand for setting me on the right path!
So glad you took another stab at the issue and posted the solution. I'm sure it will be helpful to others using the Android 6.0 version of the Nexus 7. :)

Reaction score
In fact it turns out to be even simpler. 1. Connect tablet and PC with USB cable. 2. Pull down notifications window on tablet. 3. Tap on 'USB for charging' to get more options. (I don't think that was available when I started this thread) 4. Select 'File transfers' 5. Nexus 7 then behaves like an external drive, which is what was wanted all along.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the forum. Didn't make the link between the Windows 10 upgrade on my PC and being unable to get a proper connection with my Nexus 7.

Reaction score
This is still a problem for me. I can set my Nexus 7 to MTP mode, and it shows up as "Internal Storage" just fine in Windows Explorer. The problem is when I go to the "Movies" folder it says "This Folder Is Empty" when I know for a fact that it isn't. On Windows 7 it showed me the .mp4 files I had in that directory (I use a 3rd party app to play .mp4 files).

How do I get it to show me all the files in that directory?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this post and getting an answer to this issue. So useful, thanks again.

Reaction score
Like with the previous post this is still a problem for me. I too can set my Nexus 7 to MTP mode, and it shows up as "Internal Storage" just fine in Windows Explorer. The problem is when I go to the "Movies" folder it says "This Folder Is Empty" when I know for a fact that it isn't. In fact, all the folders say they are empty.

Thanks to wegmand's instructions above I was able to connect to my Nexus 7 as an FTP file server on my home network - so MANY THANKS! However, I'm hoping this is just a workaround and would like to get it Windows to show me all the files in my directories would jumping through hoops.

Does anyone have an update on this issue? Thanks!

Ask a Question