Problems with Permissions

Reaction score
Thought I had corrected issues with Permissions but still getting messages telling me Administrator privileges are required to save, asks me if I want to save elsewhere but it still doesn't let me. I believe others are having this problem and would like to find a solution. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, and have seen a couple of other comments about this. It is beyond frustrating. Any answers???

Reaction score
Go to folder and open up properties then give permission or do a clean install. I had same problems as I did the permission thing which works but there were other conflicts so a clean install was only fix. Remember you only have 30 days to be able to revert back and with a clean install you have no days to revert back.

Reaction score
Permissions may be my problem with being unable to remove Read Only from all my Document and Picture files. I keep getting a message about Administrator privileges when I'm signed in as administrator and Windows 10 shows I'm signed in as administrator

Reaction score
Permissions may be my problem with being unable to remove Read Only from all my Document and Picture files. I keep getting a message about Administrator privileges when I'm signed in as administrator and Windows 10 shows I'm signed in as administrator
I have been able to spent considerable time changing the "read only" attribute, and was able to do that; but I still get the message about Administrator privileges. Not only am I frustrated this issue exists, but trying to find "help" for it is as frustrating as the original problem.

FFG

Reaction score
Not sure if I have actually solved this, but try this. Be warned, I am not an expert, just tripped over something that appears to have solved my problem, but I do not know whether there are any other unintended consequences.

Right click the folder and select Properties.
Go to the Security tab
See if there's a new entry - mine had suddenly added 'HomeUsers' - highlight it and select Edit
On mine, the top two boxes said Full control and modify and both were unchecked, unlike all the other user names.
After I ticked Full Control, OK, OK, it appeared to allow me to save to the folder that had previously needed Administrator confirmation (even though it was my own folder)

Not sure if this has any knock-on effect if you have other users on the machine who you DON'T want to access your files, but that's not an issue for me.

This appears to have worked for me completely, solving problems with access to documents and Outlook. I would, however, be interested to know if more experienced people have any reservations about my solution

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the way I had to do it but got tired of doing it for all folders. What I realized is if there was a duplicate folder as Windows 8.1 and 10 have same name but one is for 8.1 and one is for 10 you have duplicates. I decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install and problems solved. No more giving permissions every time I downloaded a file. After 30 days no going back anyway.

FFG

Reaction score
Beginning to agree with you. It only seems to be the one folder, but I have to reset the permissions every time I switch on, and today I'm having trouble opening Excel files - half of them are apparently corrupt, but everyone else can open them.

How do I do a clean install?

Reaction score
I am still having the same problem (8 days now), despite having tried to chang every "ready only" "ownership" "administrator" and "permissions" checkbox I could find . I say "tried to" because some will change, some won't, and some that you change still don't help the permissions problem; and in any even they all change back upon reboot. - what a nightmare. I can open my files, I can even edit most of them, but I cannot save them. I installed from the free download, and don't have a disc to install from; so don't know how to do a "clean install." Help!!

Reaction score
Download all your important files. Go to Settings-Update/Security-Recovery-Reset this PC-Get Started-Remove Everything. Only problem is you can't go back to previous system. That is the only thing worked for me. Don't need a new activation as it is already activated.

Ask a Question