Profile setting Retrieval

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i need your help, i recently reprofiled my windows because i encountered the start menu problem with windows 10, now of course when we reprofile everything is like new again.

my question, is it still possible for me to retrieve the settings i had from the old profile? btw i didnt delete the old profile in the registry i just renamed it as well as the user folder inside c:\users.

TIA.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty much the same process as it has been since XP
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile?woldogcb=0
Just stay away from any file or folder starting with NT
Usually, I just drag and drop the contents of the profile folders (Desktop, Docs, Music, Pictures, Favorites, etc., etc.,) from their respective folder in the old profile into the same folders in the new profile.
AND
You'll need to create a third admin user or temporarily enable the hidden administrator account, as you can't be logged it at the time with either the old or new user account.
Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.

Reaction score
Well when you create a new profile it will name it the same as the new account name. With Windows 10 you have MS account and local accounts. My original account was a MS account and the store , mail and camera apps stopped working. I used the command prompt to create new account the used another command to assign admin rights. I then restarted and Windows set up the new profile. After the profile was created in order to copy the files from the C:\users\accountname i had to be logged in as the original user and I copied all the folder and it worked fine. I had all the same shortcuts and favorites. No because my new account was local i ran the store and used my MS account to set it up and it runs everytime now using that accout login. The same with Onedrive. I also went into Chrome setting and and signed into my Gmail account and it brought all my bookmarks and google associated stuff into chrome. I setup my wallpaper manually yo use the same as the old account and now i have a copy but the store, camera and mail work. Id have to reset up all my email clients since i use a POP3 account from my ISP plus have Gmail, Yahoo and AOL IMAP email accounts.

Ask a Question