program files on SSD drive C

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a new PC with a 250 SSD and 2TB drives. When I started Windows 10 it put all my program files in drive C and D. They take up too much space in drive c, it's only 250 gb. How can I delete program files and program files x86 in C. I have tried and it won't let me, only a few. Thanks for any help

Reaction score
I finally bought a new OEM computer a year ago [usually build my own], came with a 1TB drive partitioned as 150GB C: and 780GB D:. I've made it a habit to install new programs on D: [they don't always have to go to the C: Program Files or C: Program Files (x86) Folders but as you've noted there are some things Windows won't allow changing. Right-clicking Folders in Users such as Pictures, Documents, etc., will allow changing but some programs default storing may not always pick that up. The Browsers usually can have the location of Downloads changed, just have to sure the Folder exists on the new location. After a year my 150GB partition has 68GB free and my 780GB partition has 554GB free. I have external drives and move a lot of my downloads to one of those, it's just plain file storage.

As far as the programs go I'd take the time to Uninstall then Reinstall on D: as long as one has the install media and any serial numbers needed. When installing there usually is a choice for Custom or change to specify a different location.

EDIT: because of the tie-in with Windows it usually requires installing Microsoft Office on the same partition as the OS. I tried to change it once and only about 1/3rd of the program went onto the D: drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bighorn, some else told me to uninstall then reinstall programs to D. I thought about doing a wipe job then reinstalling windows from a dvd I made of windows 10. Maybe it's more trouble then it's worth.

Reaction score
It may seem like a lot of trouble [I've known a few folks with OCD about such things] but it all depends upon what a person does and wants to do as to how much effort they want to expend. Technology is always changing the way we do things.

Reaction score
alkie, just out of curiosity: What are you doing with your computer?
In my computers I have a system partition of max 70GB with 35-40GB to spare and I have everything I need for working with them. My files though (documents, pictures etc. ) are all on a different partition/drive.
My Windows10 Systems currently use max 35GB of drive space (including pagefile,hiberfile), my Windows7 is at 40GB.

As I said, just out of curiosity.......

Reaction score
It may seem like a lot of trouble [I've known a few folks with OCD about such things] but it all depends upon what a person does and wants to do as to how much effort they want to expend. Technology is always changing the way we do things.
In my computers I have a system partition of max 70GB with 35-40GB to spare and I have everything I need for working with them. My files though (documents, pictures etc. ) are all on a different partition/drive.
My Windows10 Systems currently use max 35GB of drive space (including pagefile,hiberfile), my Windows7 is at 40GB.

I'm trying to get rid or delete program files and program files x86 on my new SSD C drive. It won't let me delete them and they take up a lot of GB's. I have copy's in my drive D. Don't need them in two places

Reaction score
You can't get rid of the Folders C:\Program Files [on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows] or C:\Program Files (x86) [for 32-bit programs installed on 64-bit Windows], part of the Operating System. But a number of those in the Program Files (x86) Folder should be uninstallable and reinstall on D:, don't necessarily have to be in Program Files (x86) Folder on D:, can be in their own/default install. Same for those in C:\Program Files, many can be installed on D: in their own/default Folder.

The main thing about the uninstall/reinstall process is that most Windows-based programs do more than one thing when installing, copy its files to a Folder, create the icons in the Start menu, copy support files into C:\Windows or its subFolders and most importantly make Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the program/s. Simply moving program files can break the process and Windows may not be able to work with them.

Reaction score
I'm trying to get rid or delete program files and program files x86 on my new SSD C drive. It won't let me delete them and they take up a lot of GB's. I have copy's in my drive D. Don't need them in two places
You say you have copies on drive "D". Are those copies System programs or third party installs? How do you know those copies are actually used and not just copies?
As long as you do not change the installation path for the Program files in the registry, those copies are just for naught.
In the old times when Windows 95 was still alive there was a registry entry that could be changed to redirect the program files into a different location. I have not found such entry in the registry of windows 10 yet (maybe I am looking with the wrong parameters)....

Reaction score
Grizzly, in File Explorer right click a Folder such as Documents and choose Properties. On the tabs of the panel look at Location. Should be able to create the same Folder on D: drive then make a choice there. The Folder on the new location has to exist first.

Reaction score
For documents and pictures etc it works but not for Program Files (program files (x86)), I know that. That is how I moved MY files to a different drive. It does not work with System files.

Reaction score
Guess I read this wrong:
"In the old times when Windows 95 was still alive there was a registry entry that could be changed to redirect the program files into a different location. I have not found such entry in the registry of windows 10 yet (maybe I am looking with the wrong parameters)...."

Reaction score
Open the [Program Files] folder to check if you can uninstall any third-party software. If yes, uninstall them and reinstall to the other hard drive or other partitions. They will run all the same on new partition.

Ask a Question