Project 2010 error

Reaction score
I have created a project in Project 2010. After some time of working in it it was saved. Now when I try to open it the program gives an error: “Project cannot recognize this file format”. I read that if you just keep hit the Save command while working, the file can get bloated and corrupt. I tried to reinstall and the project and office. But it did not solve the problem. MS Project 2010, SP1 installed. What else can I do to recover the file?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Ragnar.

A couple of things you could try are:
  • Open the application then select File > Options > Trust Center > click on Trust Center Settings > Select the option "Allow loading files with legacy or non-default file formats"
  • Now try opening the file
If that does not work you could take a look at this 2015 article to see whether it is relevant for you. I'm not sure it will be, but if it is then there is an option to associate a specific file extension with a program that may resolve the issue.

https://www.ca.com/us/services-supp...online/knowledge-base-articles.tec618022.html

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Project itself is fine and no amount of reinstallation or “repair” will help, since your problem is that your data file is corrupt. This appears to be a fairly common problem (happens with many other document formats, btw, not just with MS Project), caused by the file structure getting more and more complex as you go along, until something breaks.

The best option for you is to recover it from backup if you have one, even if this means losing some edit. Other than that, you could try opening it on another PC (works sometimes) or you could try creating a new project and inserting the corrupt one into it.

There’s also a Microsoft project recovery tool Project Recovery Toolbox you can download at http://www.oemailrecovery.com/project_recovery.html which is meant to repair damaged Project files, but I have no experience with it so can’t tell you if it’s any good.

Reaction score
Hi, Thank you all for your time and great help. I really appreciate your feedback and I am very thankful for your time and support.

Ask a Question