PS3 Controller and Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to get a PlayStation 3 (DUALSHOCK 3) controller to work with Windows 10? I don't own an Xbox controller, but do own several PS3 controllers - and generally prefer the layout of it since I'm using it for retro game emulation - and would like to use one.

Thank you for any support.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

Yes, you can get it working, but it's not very straightforward. You need to install MotioninJoy (http://motioninjoy.en.uptodown.com/windows) after you have disabled driver signature enforcement.

However... the risks are that you'll end up installing software that contains malware or is otherwise problematic for Windows, as you're skipping the checks that Microsoft normally enforce. Personally, I wouldn't do that unless I trusted the place I was downloading unofficial drivers from - I'm not sure if I would risk it for MotioninJoy.

If you did want to do this, you can disable driver signature enforcement as follows:

a. Press the Win + C and click on PC settings.

b. Switch over to the “Update & recovery” section.

c. Then click on the Recovery option on the left hand side.

d. Once selected, you will see an advanced startup section appear on the right hand side. You will need to click on the “Restart now” button.

e. Once your Computer has rebooted you will need to choose the Troubleshoot option.

f. Then head into Advanced options.

g. Then Startup Settings.

h. The computer will restart.

I. Here you will be given a list of startup settings that you can change. The one we are looking for is “Disable driver signature enforcement”. To choose the setting, you will need to press the F7 key.

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to get a PlayStation 3 (DUALSHOCK 3) controller to work with Windows 10? I don't own an Xbox controller, but do own several PS3 controllers - and generally prefer the layout of it since I'm using it for retro game emulation - and would like to use one.

Thank you for any support.

DON'T EVER USE MOTIONINJOY its complicated to use and you need internet and motioninjoy cost money. i use this http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller. here's a youtube tutorial

Ask a Question