SOLVED Put in DVD then D:\ invalid value for registry

Reaction score
My DVD player on my Windows 10, Dell laptop was working fine a few weeks ago, but I put in DVD today and it says ' D:\ invalid value for registry' and DVD doesn't play.

I don't have a clue what to do. DVD player must be in contact with rest of computer because when I looked in DVD player functions it has the name of the DVD I have in there. I tried with a few CDs that worked before.

I went to Computer Management, then Disk Management and it says name of DVD for D: , File system UDF, and then under Status it says Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Under that it says
CD ROM 0
DVD
Then name of DVD I have in player

When I go to DVD RW Drive D:\ it has name of DVD I have in player

When I go to Device Manager it says DVD/CD drives, This device is working properly.

I don't see how it can be working properly if it says invalid value for registry when I try to play it

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi S Lee,

Welcome to the Forum

What App is set as default to open and play your DVD?

It's possible the registry has a reference to this App + a second reference to an earlier version pre an update which may be triggering that error message.

There could be some other cause also of course, but that one would be relatively simple to check once we know what App you are opening the DVD with.

Reaction score
I did run that Free Registry Fix, so might that have affected it? How would I change it back? Could I do a system restore?

How do I look to see what App is default to play DVDs?

Reaction score
I don't know what I'm doing, but when I go to device manager and click on DVD it says MATSHITA DVD + RW UJ8D1. I right click to update drivers and it says I already have latest drivers.
When I go to Properties I can't see anything helpful.

Reaction score
I downloaded VLC video Player to see if it works with that and when I go to D:\ which is the DVD drive, it says 'Files Currently On Disk' (2)
Then there are two folders, one for Audio-TS and one for Video.
If I click on the video folder it only shows each part as a short file, such as the Title lasts 22 seconds.
However if I go to Open Disk on VLC Player it seems to play the CD all in one fine.
Not sure why D:\ drive says 2 files in folder for audio or video, but I think I've sorted it with VLC player now anyway.
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question