SOLVED Put into sleep mode and now is in a power loop.

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody can help me here.

I installed windows 10 about a week ago and all was working fine until I decided to try sleep mode a couple of days ago. I activated sleep mode but noticed after powering off that my PC was turning back on for a few seconds before powering back off in a loop. I didn't think to much of it and powered it off at the wall thinking that would clear any sleep errors. Well I've come back to use it after a couple days and it's still is stuck in a power loop of starting for 3 or 4 seconds before powering back off again in a continuous loop!

No chance to go into the bios, no sign of windows, just an endless power cycle!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
powered it off at the wall
So, I'm guessing it's a desktop not a laptop.
Unplug it from the back of the computer at the PSU.
Hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so to discharge any energy stored in the random capacitors here and there on your board and PSU.
Plug it back end and hold the BIOS key in advance of powering it back on. Without knowing what PC we're talking about here I have no way of even guessing what key or key combination that might be.
Some HPs you can just press and hold the Esc key.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, you are right, it is a desk top, well a custom built HTPC running on a Asus motherboard.

Anyway I had tried something very similar to your suggestion and variations of it with no luck. It was if there wasn't even time for the bios to start up, but I have now resolved the problem.

The answer was pulling the bios battery! Once that was done it booted up as normal :)

Any ideas on why it went into a power cycle when I tried sleep mode?

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas on why it went into a power cycle when I tried sleep mode?
Nope..... sorry. I generally avoid energy saving settings like the plague. No sleep (never) no hibernate (never). I guess I'm just not very green.
My idea of energy saving is.......
When I'm not using it, I shut it down...... completely.

I remember I had an old Dell Optiplex, every time you made a hardware change, you had to yank the darned CMOS battery. I never figured that one out either.

Reaction score
lol! I shall follow your example and stick to a good old fashioned shut down when finished.

Ask a Question