SOLVED Question about legacy boot menu?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new here, I got here by looking for a way to access the traditional boot menu in Windows 10 and found this article.

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/

I've seen this at Tom's Hardware as well.

The thing is that it doesn't work for me.

I've tried it several times and even though the message says that the command completed successfully when I access the boot menu it's still the Windows 10 menu, that only gives you the list of drives on your computer and no other options.

Has anyone tried this and had it work?

Mike

Reaction score
Until I reinstalled Win 10 about 10 days ago, I used this tutorial.
It gave me the option of choosing Windows 10 or Safe Mode just like the screenshot shown in the tutorial.
It is a bit more complicated but nothing one cannot handle. Just read the instructions carefully.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2758-safe-mode-add-windows-boot-manager-windows-8-a.html

It was designed for Win 8/8.1 but it is 100% applicable to Win 10. I myself used it for a few months until reinstalling Win 10.

Reaction score
Hi

I was hoping for an easier way to do this, but I may try this.

The situation is that a friend of mine booted his computer into safe mode, (it was Microsoft's solution to a problem he was having with a critical error message when loading the start menu), well by some weird act of fate his password expired before he rebooted, (he got the message on his laptop after not being able to boot back into his PC).

He updated his password on his laptop, but the PC is still stuck in safe mode and not online.

So the PC doesn't get the message that his password has changed for his Microsoft account, and won't log in using the old one, and in safe mode it doesn't give you the option to use your pin number.

If I could get the computer to start in normal mode he could log in with his pin or probably the new password.

But I don't know of a way to stop the computer from trying to log in, in safe mode?

Fortunately, when I updated his computer to Windows 10 I made a System Image file when everything was set up, so I may have to just restore the image and get him back to where he was. At this point that's starting to look like the easier way of doing it.

Mike

Reaction score
Hi

Just came back to say that the problem is fixed.
I restored the System Image and everything it up and running.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Ask a Question