Question about Windows 10 Anniversary Edition install

Reaction score
I attempted to install the Anniversary edition on my Windows 10 Home laptop, and after monkeying my way through the 0x80070057 error by disabling Airplane Mode during the download verification process (don't ask me, but it worked), watched the installation progress through several reboots to a point where there was a reboot with a totally black screen, the whirlygig at the bottom, and nearly no disk activity.

I waited for about a half hour or so and then powered down and restarted. Upon restart, a message appeared indicating that it was attempting to reset the installation. The same black screen and whirlygig and not much more activity. I repeated the power down and restart some time later, and this time after the system came up, I got a message that I was being reverted back to my original copy of Windows.

I'm back to the original Windows 10, but am wondering (from someone who has successfully completed the install)... should I have waited for who knows how long for this black screen to finally progress, or is this another in the increasing list of possible glitches that might be encountered in the new edition?

Thanks!
Tom

Reaction score
Maybe you do not have enough space in your MBR (or EFI if you have Solid State Drives). You need at least 100MB in your boot drive for W10 Anniversary to install.

Another possibility is faulty screen drivers (although unlikely). Make sure you have updated all your drivers before starting the upgrade to the new W10.

Make sure your Virus checking is turned off before starting the download and upgrade, and (most importantly) make sure "Windows Update" (as well as the Microsoft Office updates) is set to "Notify to schedule restart ". You will change it back to "Automatic" once the upgrade is finished.

Switching to aeroplane mode will effectively stop the updater from interfering with the Install by cutting you off from the internet (and this is a good thing). Of course only turn on aeroplane mode once the download has completed, and once the Install starts.

Just some ideas that may help.

Reaction score
hello to all,
I have used this forum on a number occasions to resolve W10 related issues. I am also, having difficulty with the Anniversary W10 update. I am working from version 10586 and upgrading to version 14393. But unlike the previous posts, I get to the point where the 'Windows 10 update part is successful' and then it proceeds to the Verifying phase where it indicates 'Verifying Download' and it proceeds on this process. In the meantime, the computer is turning on and off until it reaches the 65-70% completion and then i see a black screen with searchng icon remains on but not progress. I have turned off the computer and when turn it back on it also indicates that it searching to to complete the installation. However, it does not reach that end point. And I do not get an error message. I am now on the original W10. Any thoughts or has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks

Reaction score
Make sure your virus checker is turned off.
Also, ensure you have "Windows Update" set to "Notify to schedule restart" (or instead change to "Aeroplane mode"). Do this once the download has completed and the Installation starts.
(In other words, you do not want to be connected to the internet at that stage).
Lastly make sure you have at least 100MB in your MBR (total space, both used and unused).
Once update completes log on to local account, turn off aeroplane mode, reset your Updates to "Automatic".
I would suggest not using another Virus checker (i.e. use only Defender), although I think W10 now allows you to use your own and turn off defender's virus check (not sure of that yet).

Reaction score
Tried all of the above... no luck. The install died in the same spot on two different occasions, having made it to 75%, then hanging after the next reboot. I'm giving up. Hopefully, there will be some sort of a solution in the future.

Ask a Question