Question on having to replace MB will windows 10 key still be good

Reaction score
Well the last few days I have been formatting, reinstalling, trying to repair, told there's no restore point, clean install 3 times and I have come to the sad truth that my MB is dying, it's about 5-6 years so I guess I can't complain but I was hoping it would have waited at least till next year sometime.

I haven't been able to reboot and even when I start installing it will freeze. I have done scans on my hard drive and nothing comes up so it has to be MB. With that being said, if I keep what I have of windows 10 installed right now which is very little only important stuff like email and such, will I be able to keep my windows key or am I going to lose it with the install of a new motherboard?

Reaction score
Generally MS considers a new motherboard to be a new machine. You should call them once the machine is reassembled and discuss the problem. Did you actually get an install/upgrade and get licensed before it started to die?

I suggest you replace the CMOS backup battery. And , have you removed and reseated the memory ? And is there a BIOS update for your machine?
I'd try those three things before buying a new mobo

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Debbie,

If you upgraded from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8,1 to Windows 10 then you will have been given a Digital License which is applied to the current hardware on your computer.

If you are making a major change such as your motherboard, that digital license will be voided.

However, you can telephone Microsoft's automated service to re-active that digital license.

You can also use Windows 10 built in Contact Support app to make contact with them, located at:
  • Start > All apps > Contact Support

If you purchased a retail Windows 10 DVD or some Group package deal then you will be prompted for a Product key on a re-install and after that the digital license will require activation; again via direct contact with Microsoft.

I agree with Tim Locke's post. All his suggestions are worth investigating.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you actually get an install/upgrade and get licensed before it started to die? Yes I did

I suggest you replace the CMOS backup battery. And , have you removed and reseated the memory ? And is there a BIOS update for your machine? No I didn't reseated the memory, and my MB is too old there is no updated BIOS.

I'd try those three things before buying a new mobo[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hi Debbie,

If you upgraded from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8,1 to Windows 10 then you will have been given a Digital License which is applied to the current hardware on your computer.

If you are making a major change such as your motherboard, that digital license will be voided.

However, you can telephone Microsoft's automated service to re-active that digital license. Is that the automated one where they can send the info to your phone and you follow the info

You can also use Windows 10 built in Contact Support app to make contact with them, located at:
  • Start > All apps > Contact Support

If you purchased a retail Windows 10 DVD or some Group package deal then you will be prompted for a Product key on a re-install and after that the digital license will require activation; again via direct contact with Microsoft.

I agree with Tim Locke's post. All his suggestions are worth investigating.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I contacted customer support through that app and yes I will have to get a new key, told me to contact them again when I get the motherboard installed

Ask a Question