SOLVED Quicken 2015 Deluxe won't load

Reaction score
When I try to open Quicken, I get the following message: "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is a read only or you do not have permission to open it. Do you want to copy it to a different location and open it from there? Yes or No.
If I choose No then the program closes. If Yes, it wants to restore a backup file from an external drive.
I right clicked on the program and went to properties to ensure I had administrative rights to open the program.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have suggestions? For safety reasons I have another copy of Quicken on another laptop with windows 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes.... I was helping someone else yesterday on an unrelated problem and they mentioned an issue with QuickBooks (so not exactly Quicken) that Intuit's forum was lit-up with people having problems with even the latest versions of their products on Windows 10.
That may be a good place to check and see if they have anything in the way of a solution or workaround for your specific issues.
I'm not an Intuit product user so I can't be of much help, but.....
In instances where the problem is with a specific piece of software (or hardware for that matter) I always like to check and see what the "horse's mouth" has to say about it.
Please let us know if you come up with anything.

Reaction score
I reloaded the Quicken program and downloaded the Mondo patch. It worked for one cycle then reverted back to it's old ways. I'll be reverting bCk toWindows 7 soon if I can't getthisfixed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll be reverting bCk toWindows 7 soon if I can't getthisfixed.
Understood.
A shame really.
It's a decent OS, but people need their programs to work.
One might think that, since this has been a "work in progress" since last October, maybe some software vendors might have taken some of that time to test and hopefully, provide updates or suggest workarounds or something.
Anyway....
Thanks for coming back and updating your thread with that information.

Reaction score
Fixed it! Had to do with read only files and permissions. Kept screwing with it till it worked. Don't know how u fixed it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Excellent. Glad to hear you managed to resolve your problem.
thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that solution. It'll like prove helpful for other's with a similar problem.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Fixed it! Had to do with read only files and permissions. Kept screwing with it till it worked. Don't know how u fixed it.

Agree that it had to do with permissions. I had the same problem after upgrading, root of which had to do with owner permissions (owner's name did not appear on the list of those with assigned permissions). Patched it by right-clicking on DOCUMENTS folder, and selecting Properties/Security/Edit/Add/Advanced/Find Now/(selecting appropriate name from the displayed list)/OK/Check Names/OK/(check box full Control/OK/OK. This also fixed a similar problem with Outlook not opening.

But I am working above my pay grade here, and for an apparent similar omission in my PICTURES folder permissions, I could not make the repair stick through a reboot. Keeping fingers crossed. . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been fighting the identical problem since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I got it to work by running the Windows 10 Compatibility Troubleshooter, specifying that Windows 7 was the version that I knew it worked on. When Quicken 2015 starts up under the troubleshooter I got a Quicken warning against running as the administrator, but ignored it and Quicken runs fine now.

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to run Quicken 2004 on Windows 10 but it says I have two files missing - MFC70.DLL & MSVCR70.dll. I have tried reinstalling and have even copied the files from my old laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium) but it still doesn't find them. Any suggestions where I go from here?

Reaction score
Agree that it had to do with permissions. I had the same problem after upgrading, root of which had to do with owner permissions (owner's name did not appear on the list of those with assigned permissions). Patched it by right-clicking on DOCUMENTS folder, and selecting Properties/Security/Edit/Add/Advanced/Find Now/(selecting appropriate name from the displayed list)/OK/Check Names/OK/(check box full Control/OK/OK. This also fixed a similar problem with Outlook not opening.

But I am working above my pay grade here, and for an apparent similar omission in my PICTURES folder permissions, I could not make the repair stick through a reboot. Keeping fingers crossed. . .
You rock! Thanks for posting this detail. I didn't update for months to avoid this problem. Because of your post, I was able to upgrade.

BTW - For me it was specifically that "SYSTEM" was the owner of the Quicken executable folder - had to change it to an Administrator account.

May be worth mentioning that I was able to install the update and run Quicken. However, until I implemented the fix above, as soon as I had rebooted Windows 10, the app wouldn't start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to run Quicken 2004 on Windows 10 but it says I have two files missing - MFC70.DLL & MSVCR70.dll. I have tried reinstalling and have even copied the files from my old laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium) but it still doesn't find them. Any suggestions where I go from here?
I had quicken 2004 on my windows 7 then I upgraded to windows 10. I have an issue with MFC70.DLL & MSVCR70.dll but will go to windows driver update to resolve. The only problem I have not been able to resolve is my missing StdOrder listing; when I upgraded to windows10 the listing disappeared and the system will not allow me to reintroduce the listing. I can complete the details to list a particular StdOrder, but when I click to post the details, they disappear! I would appreciate help.

Ask a Question